Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple & Yellow Iris - Name???

Posted by foxtrax 5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 14:57

This iris was here when we bought our house 30 years ago. The house is pre-civil war. Does anyone know how old the iris is and if it has a name?

Follow the link to see a picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamfoxtrax/2538641061/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple & Yellow Iris - Name???

What a gorgeous pic. Does it look this way every year?

When you preview your message, you can paste the url address in the Optional Link URL box to make a 'hot' link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamfoxtrax/2538641061/

o

Looks to me like Loreley (Goos & Koenemann) 1909. It tends to bloom as a "flattie" like this sometimes. Nice photo. The look of the flower is somewhat variable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Loreley on HIPS site

o

Agree with Iris Nut - this is definitely Lorelei (means a type of river mermaid of the Rhine)

Often, the standards (the yellow part that stands up) have streaks of the purple in them. That is part of this iris' "look".

o

Thank you, Iris Gal,iris nut, & Shapiro.

Yes, it looks this way every year. There is some variation between blooms, but on the whole they are the same. It is very hardy. I have some planted between the house and sidewalk, under the furnace exhaust. It makes a nice little micro climate there and one time it bloomed at Thanksgiving. Our house is pre-civil war, so thought it might be an heirloom variety.

o

Beautiful picture of Loreley. How nice that you had a historic that is distinct enough to ID so quickly. That is often not the case.

I just received a small start of that one through the HIPS member rhizome sale. I understand it is quite sought after.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here