Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie630

New to irises - .... ??? cut stalks/fans?

carrie630
15 years ago

A friend just dug up a bunch of bearded irises and is giving them to me today. I don't remember how to take care of them and wondered, should I cut the stalk way back and just leave the fans? Do I cut the fans in the fall?

Thanks for any information - I don't want to kill them

Carrie

Comments (6)

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

First read the FAQ for more information.

Plant ASAP with the top of the rhizome left exposed. You can dig in a little bonemeal or bulb food first. Water well and allow soil to dry out before next soaking.

The flower stalk is removed after blooming. No need to cut foliage unless plant keeps tipping over.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, iris - I had them years ago - and I did remember not to plant the rhimzome too deep - but the lady that gave them to me yanked them out of the ground, breaking a lot of the rhizomes, but I see plenty of roots (?).. My husband thinks it would be okay to plant them, I am wondering if I am wasting my time - if you can help, thanks

Carrie (I'll refresh with the FAQs)

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

Iris rhizomes are tough and store a lot of energy. Put the pieces in the ground and they will sprout.

A neighbor gave me 2 huge boxes of them many years ago and it took me months to get them planted. Lots were broken. Half of the box even sat over winter and most of them sprouted that following spring. They are still doing well today.

I also just moved some that had become overgrown by honeysuckle many years ago. The poor plant has not bloomed in eons from having its roots shaded. When I moved it I found two-foot long rhizomes with only a leaf at the end. Several of these broke into pieces as I was digging, others I broke into pieces to shorten them. I planted those long rhizomes w/o leaves last fall and now they have fans sprouting all along both sides of the rhizome.

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I appreciate your response, berry and will keep that information in mind... but, actually my question is this:

If I have irises with hardly a rhizome,(broken rhizome barely an inch) but plenty of roots, will that survive?

Thanks

Carrie

• laurief_gw
    15 years ago

Carrie, the only way to know for sure what will and won't survive is to plant it and see what happens. Irises can grow from surprisingly small pieces left in the ground after a clump has been dug, so I'd say your chances are very good that the broken rhizome will grow just fine.

Laurie

• carrie630
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks laurie - that sounds encouraging

Carrie

Sponsored