Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Hit List!

newyorkrita
11 years ago

I wasn't planning on tossing any iris out of the gardens this year. But it is ALWAYS tempting to get new ones. So of course I take a hard look at any dissapointing blooms.

Here is CRIMSON LIGHTS FFO. I guess you can't tell from a picture but it is a really small flower. Pair that with the fact that it just doesn't have much impact to me and I have a possible candidate for shovel prunning. It was blah like this last year also but I wanted to wait and see how it does this year before deciding.

TEMPLE OF LIGHTS is the second candidate for possible shovel prunning. Nothing stands out to me about this one. Not a big flower but not as small as CRIMSON LIGHTS. What I really don't like is the lack of substance as it is pretty beat up by the overnight rain. Others in the garden didn't suffer because of the rain so that means points against this one. I just don't remember if it bloomed last year but it was here. I will just have to look at more blooms on it to say.

I got these both from ROCKYTOP and the actual plants are good growers and doing very well. I am just very picky about my iris.

Comments (12)

• klovesirises
    11 years ago

Hey Rita,
    I love,love your irises! I have to add all of your irises to my fav lists to get! Hope you don't toss these! I am a newbie here,so I am not as picky about my irises. Lol If you decide to toss them out, send them my way & I'll give them a good home & reimburse your postage! :)
    Thx 4 posting your pics. Your garden looks dreamy. Will have to find the daylily forum so I can see your daylilies too!
    Kay

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I'd toss them. You will have two spots for beauties you see this year!
    I have a few irises with substance problems too- Total Recall is not very sturdy, nor is Cajun Rhythm. They have to make up for that by frequency of bloom and beauty, because I water overhead twice a week. I would not keep any irises that turn into wet tissue paper after one rain.
    Renee

• aquawise
    11 years ago

Dont toss them ladies PLEASE!!!!!!!! give them to someone that will love them for what they are.... PLEASE.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

That's why I'm in the Iris Society, Aquawise. They all go to good homes.
    Renee

• aquawise
    11 years ago

AWESOME!!!!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I never throw mine out either, I give mine away also. But they get tossed out of MY GARDEN if I decide they are unworthy. I am still thinking on these but I am thinking they will be leaving here.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I have finally gotten to the point that I ship out plants that just don't suit me any more. Never thought it would happen. I used to get whatever iris I saw, but I don't care much for the heirlooms any more. There are a couple of heirlooms I still like for unusual colors, but most are leaving my garden. I've also decided an iris can be too vigorous, I am gettin' tired of dividing these older iris that multiply like crazy.
    I never thought of myself as a "girly" girl (or in my case, old lady) but I love the ruffles of newer iris. Gonna have the ones I like!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My room is limited and my iris beds are full. I can't see getting rid of anything I like just to get something new but if I don't much care for it I figgure I will replace it. Plenty of stunning iris out there.

I know many people like the (to me) plainer historic iris. That is fine and everyone should have what they like. But I have to agree, they just don't do it for me. I too like big flowers with lots of ruffles.

• aquawise
    11 years ago

I have some old Iris and they do get big clumps fast. I am getting them gone from my main Iris Patch as soon as they are done blooming this year. I will give them away to anyone that wants them. No lack of takers.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a new flower on TEMPLE OF LIGHTS. I am still unimpressed!

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

It's got the fattest falls I have ever seen. But it doesn't do much for me.
    Renee

• aseedisapromise
    11 years ago

I'm kind of picky about the shape of my iris, and I don't like the shapes of the ones you want to cull. So I agree. Temple looks like a fat lady in tight shorts, and I like big flowers.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company