Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris bloom stalks wilting

Posted by steveinjersey 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 11 at 15:21

Hello,

I just took a look at my TBs, and find that some of them have bloom stalks that have wilted and fallen over. Kind of like a candy cane effect. My camera is broken, or I would post a photo.
There don't appear to be any bugs or fungus or any signs of foul play involved. Anybody have any ideas?
This is a bed planted in 2008, which was lawn prior to that, and the iris have been growing well there since.

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris bloom stalks wilting

Have you had any freezes?
kay

o

Need water? Too hot?

o

No late freezes, fair amount of rain, and actually a little on the chilly side.
Whatever it is/was seems to have stopped.

o

Did they actually wilt, or did the stalks come up curvy? I had bloom stalks this year that came out s shaped, but they bloomed ok. I've had them mishapen before, but never to the extent of this year. I attributed it to cool temps, but I really don't know. It hit the earliest blooming TB iris, later ones were fine.

o

any history of the lawn company spraying your lawn???

ken

o

Thanks for all the suggestions. No lawn service for me or my neighbors. Out of 30 some varieties I grow, this is affecting 5 of them. I wish I had a camera to post a picture of this.
The stalks seem to be fine, then develop a soft section and bend over like a candy cane. Then after a day or two, that droopy part either breaks off or creases and bends down. If I cut off the affected part, the rest of the stalk blooms fine.
I am having quite a problem with the leaf spot this spring, and I think that may be affecting the stalks as well.

o

I've never seen that before. Hopefully, everything will right itself next year.

o

when i first read this post i had never heard of what you're talking about, and now i've lost 5 stalks in the high winds of the yesterday because the stalks were starting to wilt like yours had, and not so much wilt as just droop a little and the stalks become sort of soft but only in one section. all of the one affected are first time bloomers for me, so it might just be this years growing conditions coupled with the first time blooming of the plant.

are yours new or have they bloomed before?

o

They have all bloomed before, although the ones affected by this wilting are doing poorly overall this year. Lots of fungal leaf spot due to the rainy cool weather we've been having.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here