Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

Hooks or Spoons?

CA Kate z9
17 years ago

I've seen these terms used for what the beard sometimes looks like. What is the difference?

Comments (18)

• randy_ca
    17 years ago

These are terms used to describe the extension of the beards on spaceage iris.
    Usually hooks would be the smallest, followed in size by horns, spoons, and the largest, flounces.
    There are even some that are getting flowery rosettes inside the flounces of the largest extensions of spaceagers.

I been breeding spaceagers for a while, trying to increase the size of the extensions, this year so far after seeing the first three of my 2004 spaceage crosses bloom with what I'm calling monster flounces, almost as tall as the standards and when the flounce is peeled open, almost equals the size of the falls.

• randy_ca
    17 years ago

These photos should give you an idea what I'm talking about.
    From top to bottom, hooks, horns, spoons, flounces, flounces with rosettes.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words! WOW!

I guess I have a few hooks and a couple horns, but definitely no flounces or rosettes.

Thanks for the tutorial.

• jwiist
    17 years ago

Hi Randy,

Could you give us the name of the irises in the pictures?
    Thanks,
    Jayne

• randy_ca
    17 years ago

Hi Jayne,
    Sure, top to bottom.
    Bonnie Davenport '97 Burseen
    Sdlg 99BI1 (Pink Swan X Thornbird) Bob Van Liere - Colorado
    All Aflutter '94 Byers
    Mesmerizer '90 Byers
    Sdlg 96-MGP-1 (Mesmerizer X Godsend) Randy Squires - California

• terry94705
    17 years ago

Randy, Thanks that was very informative! That seedling of yours is really in a class of its own!

• eroctuse2
    17 years ago

Hey that 'All Aflutter' picture looks familiar. :)

For some reason it seems to look alot like the one I uploaded to photobucket. *grin* I'm glad to see it's finally serving a purpose.
    Brock

• randy_ca
    17 years ago

Thanks Brock : )
    The picture was so good I couldn't resist using it for educational purposes.

Randy

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is "Skyhook". Is it hook, horn or spoon?

• randy_ca
    17 years ago

Even though named Skyhooks, those are horns.
    From the 1979 Iris Check List: gold beard ending in violet horns.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you, randy. I guess horns curve up? I have some where the projection is just straight out.

• mtshasta_sis
    17 years ago

Thanks for more schooling on this subject. I didn't know hook and horn were different. Well Randy what a fab. bloom you have created. I wouldl love to see a profile, I would love to have one in my garden also. Sis

• randy_ca
    17 years ago

Sis,
    Just for you.
    This picture is pale, it really is pink.
    I've tried since 1998 to set seed on it or use it's pollen and finally I got some of it's pollen to take on an April Jewel X Coral Point cross, both pink, both spaceagers and the child was pink with bright red beards with horns, so I have high hopes when the offspring bloom next year.

• mtshasta_sis
    17 years ago

Thanks for the profile Randy, do show us any off spring that looks like this parent. Gosh it is sooooooo beautiful.
    Sis

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Thanks for the explaining the terms and showing pics to match Randy. I didn't really understand before.
    Remy

• northspruce
    17 years ago

This is an old thread now so hopefully Randy comes back to read it - just curious (hope it's not rude to ask), why the seedling hasn't been named and released? It's absolutely amazing!

• ginni77
    17 years ago

Great information! I wish there were a place on the internet we could go to get all the iris "lingo". I've had irises for years, but not seriously enough to learn the talk. I haven't heard some of these terms in relation to iris before!

Is there a place we can go to learn more?

Ginni

• shilty
    17 years ago

Oh - I have GOT to have that one Randy!

When will you be introducing it?

Please don't give it a jarring name... the name has to be as beautiful as it is.

shilty