Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Is my Siberian Iris dead then?

paulsiu
11 years ago

A month or two ago, I planted some siberian caesar's brothers. It was water regularly, but so far it has refused to come up. There's no shoots. I am wondering. Is it dead or should I not expect foliage until later?

This isn't what I expected at all. The german irises I planted appear to explode out of the soil. I thought Siberians would be even tougher.

Paul

Comments (8)

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

If there is nothing green left, it is dead. They do not like to have their roots dried up,and it takes a long time for the new roots to grow. Small pieces of sibirians do not transplant well. It is safer with bigger divisions. If you buy shipped bare root sibirians, the first year is often a struggle for survival.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    11 years ago

I agree that your SI is likely gone. I have had success with potted SI purchased from local nurseries. Usually, lots of green on top is needed to coax a purchase.

The mail order (bare root) Siberian Iris I received 2 years ago from Joe Pye Weed's Garden are looking strong. Most of them produced 5-15 blooms this spring. I think it will be another 2 years before I have a mature clump and get significant repeat.

Once mature, SI are vigorous, hardy and care free.

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I shouldn't get bareroot Siberian Iris then? My experience with iris come from a german iris that a friend gave me. I totally forgot about it and left it in the garage over the winter. When I planted it in spring, it immediately sprung back, so I thought the Siberian iris would be even more resilient.

Paul

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Siberians are totally different. German bearded iris can go for long periods in drought, will rot if sitting in water. Siberians can grow in ponds, they can handle dry conditions once they acclimate, but prefer moisture.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Not to add to the confusion but Siberian iris are not water iris. They will not grow in ponds/standing water but are quite happy adjacent to it or in temporarily marshy conditions. But they will grow just as well in ordinary garden soil with ordinary garden irrigation. In fact, they are quite drought tolerant once established.

Species and non-rhizomatous or bulbous iris are my specialities. And like any other fleshy-rooted perennial, they dislike their roots drying out, even during dormancy. That's when you encounter difficulties with bare root plants, as they have been harvested early and stored too long with improper care.

Some species iris can be extremely picky as to when they can be planted or even divided - try it at the wrong season and chances for success are greatly reduced. Siberians are not nearly that picky, but I would not consider them at all great candidates for bare root culture. Much better to purchase rooted, growing starts.

• paulsiu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I thought Siberian Irises would be tougher than the German ones. The Garden club speaker said they were more resistant to Iris borers.

At the Northern IL iris show, I talked to a few people and they indicated that the Siberians have higher water requirements and the German ones are easier to grow in my area.

After they are established, do Siberians still need more water than German ones?

I was wondering about the sunlight requirements. I was often told that they want full sun. The Germans ones I have live in full sun and are quite happy. The Siberians planted were in a shadier area. Roses bloom, so I suspect, it' can't be that shaded if Roses bloom ok?

Paul

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Since Sibes don't have rhizomes the iris borers don't find them as appealing but they can still infest the plant - they can even infest dayliles. Here, many of the commercial iris growers have both beardeds and Sibes or non-bearded iris growing in adjacent plantings. Irrigation is pretty much the same so I would not consider the Sibes to be significantly more needy with regards to water than the beardeds. When I grew both, they both got exactly the same sort of attention.

I'm not sure I would consider Sibes any more or less tough than the beardeds - they are just different plants with some different habits/requirements. The biggest is their lack of ability to remain viable long term bare root :-) Especially when the retailer doesn't store them correctly and continues to sell them long past the end of their typical dormant period.

• PollyNY
    11 years ago

Sibs do have rhizomes, and they need to be kept wet at all times before planting.

What did you do with them from the time you got them until the time you planted them? Did you just get roots, no leaves? May I ask where you purchased them? Doesn't sound like a grower. I never, ever, send mine out without some leaves so I know they are alive.

Polly @ Siberian Iris Gardens

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?