Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris bloomed a different color this year?

Posted by tabarhodes 5, NM (My Page) on
Sat, May 9, 09 at 15:47

So last year I was baffled by this Iris:
http://ardentgarden.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/iris21.jpg
It was the first year it bloomed and I couldn't figure out what it was because it didn't look like anything I had planted.
This year it looks like this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3404/3516492210_50d6a6405c_b.jpg

I think it resembles "Tennessee Woman" which I vaguely remember buying. I assume the soil and conditions would have something to do with the color change. Is this a common thing among Iris? I'm fairly new to them so I have no clue!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris bloomed a different color this year?

but now that i'm looking at the pictures it looks as though the beards are totally different colors......maybe there's several varieties in this clump?

o

I would bet you have 2 totally different iris there. I think some iris can look slightly different due to soil conditions or temps, but not that different. Iris can multiply so fast that they can invade another's territory.

o

Thanks ngraham! This particular clump is out in the middle of the gravel far away from my other Iris, so no invasion. They must have mistakenly included a different variety of Iris in the bag that I bought (that's walmart for you!) and I guess the more yellow iris didn't bloom last year. Although funny thing I haven't gotten any of the pinkish blooms yet like I had last year! Weird!

o

Walmart has that reputation, although when I bought my first iris from them years ago I didn't have that problem. I must have been lucky because Wmart has a bad reputation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here