Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemom61

Identifying heirloom irises

prairiemom61
10 years ago

I have about a dozen heirloom irises from my grandmother's huge garden. She had a 1/2 acre iris garden starting in the 1920's, until her death in 1991. For many years she kept them labeled, but that eventually was lost to us. She spent years sharing with neighboring farm wives, and I believe she even developed a few hybrids. As children we would wander the neat paths she maintained thru the garden. I have no idea how she did that, kept a huge rose garden, gathered eggs, cooked with wood until 1949 and raised EIGHT children. She also made wedding cakes for over 40 years and pieced and quilted uncounted quilts. To be more like her...she was truly an artist.
Before the farm sold, one of my uncles took as many of the irises as he could. Years later he shared them with me. They are stunning right now, and I would dearly love to know some of their names. I looked at the HIPS site and identified a few of them, but would like your help in identifying a few more. These were mostly planted in the 30's and 40's.
Thanks so much.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz