Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I move them now?

Posted by melaroma 6 (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 15:58

I have some mini irises in the front that I would like to move to another spot within the same bed but it is just about to flower. Should I wait or can I get away with it? They are only about five or six bulbs so it is fairly small. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I move them now?

Well, I hope you can. Just got around to turning the bed of an old, overgrown garden that the previous owner installed years ago. We had tons of iris and after my hubby "mowed" the garden down I dug out tons of tubers. The iris were one of the last survivors of the garden. The poppies, daisies and black eyed susans had all run their course over the years. I finally got the time to do some major work in that plot and am trying to save what I can. I ended up with a 5 gallon pail full of tubers that I plan on replanting in a few days (after edging).

o

I would wait & enjoy the bloom first.

They really don't lie to be moved just before or when blooming, though they will survive. Putting out bloom takes a lot of energy & you remove some of the roots when you transplant, even if you are careful.

That said, if the septic replacement contractor is about to drive the truck over that spot, you have to move the plants! We have done that.

o

Thanks guys but I kinda went ahead and moved it... I'm a Fiddler! It was just about to bloom when I moved it and viola! This was taken today:

Photobucket

It has another bloom below that one that looks like it is going to open anytime now and another stalk that seems to be coming along. I took an insane amount of dirt with it. So much that I didn't see any of the roots, lol. Sure is pretty!

o

Very nice. Good job!
Rernee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here