Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

Help me ID

Nancy
14 years ago

A couple of years ago what I thought was Edith Wolford bloomed & I showed a picture of it on this forum. Someone told me that it was Jurassic Park. I did have Jurassic Park somewhere, so I just thought I was mistaken. Edith did not bloom that year for me & has not bloomed til this spring. Well, they look exactly alike to me. Tell me what you think

Jurassic Park

{{gwi:1023914}}

Edith W

{{gwi:1023915}}

Comments (12)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Hi Nancy,

Yes, I'd say you have 2 Ediths there.

2 different sites say that Jurassic Park has a silver beard.

I have Edith and bought Jurassic Park last summer, but am not sure I will get to enjoy a bloom from it this year.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Jurassic Park

• Nancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Sue. I have been looking at photos & so hard to tell sometimes. One site says Edith is a soft yellow, while Jurassic is bright. Another site shows Jurassic as kind of a muddy yellow with sort of silver color around the beard. It does seem to be Edith to me also. I remember the person who told me it was Jurassic park gave the reason that the colors were too vivid to be EW.
    I have several iris that are too, too similar. I ask myself why I got them, but at least they don't bloom at exactly the same time.

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful iris!

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

I would guess Edith also.

Jurassic Park has greeny (?) yel standards, not as clear soft yel like Edith, and deeper purple falls than Edith. My camera has a hard time capturing its colors accurately. The linked pic has 'blown out' standards (camera caught reflection, not color). The falls appear too bluish on my moniter.

14 years ago

I have several iris that are too, too similar. I ask myself why I got them, but at least they don't bloom at exactly the same time.
    Once Jurassic Park blooms for me, I'll probably be asking myself the same thing, since I have Edith too.

Also...I was leaning toward very dark ones too when making some purchases...and some of them are very very similar...with maybe just the beard being a different color.

Then too, I have only met one iris I really did not care much for...well maybe two. That might be a good subject for a thread sometime...Your Least Liked Irises...named or otherwise, and why......think?

Sue

• Nancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks hosenemesis, it really is as beautiful in person too. I do like the clear yellow of it. Iris gal, I've looked at several pics of Edith & Jurassic Park, & noticed there was a big difference in pictures. I wondered if some were doctored or something, but I know cameras just don't get the right tones sometimes.
    Sue, please let me know what you think of Jurassic Park. I like Edith so well that if Jurassic Park blooms at a different time, I might get it-provided I don't have it already:) Could be it is just hiding, I have too many iris, if that is possible.
    I have some that I come close to not liking. Someone sent me all their Thornbird because they didn't like the muddy, odd coloring. Now that it has bloomed for me, I understand what they were talking about, but I still like the oddity. Anaconda Love is another, I like the streaked falls, but I'm not quite sure about that muddy top. Seems like I have several muddy looking iris new to me this year. Right now I have enough mud in my yard without having it on my iris.

14 years ago

Nancy, just for the record, my Jurassic Park bloomed first time yesterday, and I got a pic I will post later. The top of it has blotchy purple streaks in it just like a pic of it I found on line. It does not have a silver beard though...sigh. I got mine from a local grower...well about an hour away.

oh...I was mistaken, I don't have Edith.

Sue

• Nancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing your picture. Seems like it must bloom about the same time as Edith.

14 years ago

Well here is my Jurassic Park...though not the best pics. (pics are clickable)

so....I think the jury is still out on this one.
    What does anyone/everyone think?

Sue

• Nancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your pictures looks like the majority of JP online, & I've been looking at a lot. All but 1 or 2 pics show a yellow beard with just a hint of blue/silver at the tip like yours. I finally found one site that described the beards, other than the one you listed. That site says yellow beards tipped purple. It is a very pretty iris isn't it.
    http://www.serendipityrancher.com/tallbeardediris.htm

14 years ago

None describe the standards as being mottled like mine, though I did find one mottled, but there was brown on the hafts in the pic.

I was thinking maybe the mottling might be a temp, moisture, stress thing. Mine was just planted last fall, and in not the best of conditions...it was planted on top of the existing soil, then with a soil/sand mixture covering most of the rhizome and all of the roots.

Not the ideal way I know to plant irises, but the best way for me due to the soil being infested with Star Of Beth bulb clumps I don't want to disturb....but that is a whole 'nother story and rant, which I won't get started on.

I just checked and 2 more have opened, and the standards on them are also mottled.

It is a very pretty iris isn't it.
    Though pretty, I think Edith is a lot prettier.

Maybe we could trade a fan sometime later. There is talk of a Spring Swap In Louisville at Marcia's house sometime in June...you might check in there, (Louisville Spring Plant Swap?) and hopefully it would work out for you to get to come again.

Sue

• Nancy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've been keeping an eye on that swap to see when it will be. We're planning vacation mid June, so I don't know. We haven't set an exact week yet, it depends on relatives' plans :)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living