Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Iris Growers

Posted by summerstar Z7VA (My Page) on
Sat, May 18, 13 at 16:39

I try to get recommendations before I buy plants on line. Which iris growers are you happy with? I've read that Superstition Iris Gardens are great, but they don't have a website. Another good grower only posts on Facebook. I'd sure like to hear from you if you know of a grower with an on-line catalog, has good customer service, and sends nice root stock? Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Iris Growers

www.bluejiris.com I bought from them last year and all of the bulbs give me blooms this year. I don't know if they are the best but their prices are very reasonable.

o

I have used Aitkens on this coast and extremely happy with accuracy and quality.

BlueJ - accurate, excellent prices

Can't remember the others but this link has reliable growers. You may benefit from ordering from a company nearer you as their iris are acclimated to your winters as opposed to Calif. growers.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.irises.org/Resources/Commercial_Ref.html

o

Last year I ordered from Schreiner's. I have the biggest iris plants I've ever seen!!! I swear they grew and doubled over the winter. The dwarf I ordered from there already bloomed and put on a good show. I order some other irises from them for gifts and no one has been disappointed.

o

Well, I haven't personally ordered from Winterberry, but they're highly regarded and in your vicinity, I think. Their website is great (http://winterberryirises.com/), but it's not an online catalog. $5 gets your their full catalog, which I'm told is really extensive.

o

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Mon, May 20, 13 at 13:21

Online I have ordered from Napa Valley iris Garden (CA) and from Mid America Garden (OR) and got great rhizomes.

o

i have ordered from Winterberry and they climate statement is dead on malevil iris garedn has an online catalog and they as well are very professional as well as offering guarentees she also offers some of the finest arilbreds from sharon mcallister rick tasco pete grath

o

Malevil Irises has closed due to the drought they are experiencing in that part of Texas. Dana just did the judges training for Region 7 and we talked about that. I was truly sadden to hear it.
I like Rocky Top Garden in Tennessee. He has a catalog on line, but you still have to snail mail the order.There is not a shopping cart option. But great person to deal with.

o

You can,t beat Shreiners . They are spendy but worth it. I have bought from them for the last 8 years . I have been very happy every year.

o

I vote for "Schreiners". Always happy. I order elsewhere only if I'm looking for something specific that they don't carry that particular year.

o

I have ordered from Iris City gardens online and have gotten very good product and good service.

o

Thanks to all of you for your input. I decided on Schreiner's and ordered some Siberian iris for a wet area near a ditch in our front yard. Their prices are high, but Siberian iris seem to spread well so I figure on splitting them in a couple of years. Happy gardening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here