Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

My first TB iris bloom (pic)

newyorkrita
13 years ago

I have one!!!! I have one. My first tall bearded iris bloom. Can you tell I am excited? I have been watching this one for afew days as I knew it was close to bloom and going to be my first.

It is SPOT STARTER a bonus iris from Schreiners. Looks exactly like its picture on the website too. Its listed as extra early.

{{gwi:679968}}

Further picture showing more of the plant. I have never ever had TB iris before and I couldn't believe how tall the stalk is.

I wouldn't have picked this one if they hadn't given it to me as a bonus. It is pretty but I have seen so many others I think are better looking.

You are just gonna have to look at all my pictures as I am still excited to have my first TB bloom LOL!

Here is a far shot showing the front yard and how I have some iris there in a terraced garden setting. One of my rose beds is in the backround.

{{gwi:679969}}

Comments (12)

• Nancy
    13 years ago

It is just lovely Rita, nice deep color. The tall ones are really fun, they just sit up & say Look At Me!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I like it. It's showy. I can't believe how tall it got in its first year!
    Renee

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I love that one, Rita. I have it, but it hasn't bloomed. Not early for me, apparently.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know if it takes two years for them to settle into true bloom times or if it just doesn't matter. I see earlies and lates both with stalks here so I figgure its just a jumble.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Nice photos. Your garden is looking good.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think this one is the tallest of all for this year. It has another bloom open today for three blooming now. Of course, I took a picture of that new bloom today.

I figgure the iris should start popping up all over the place from now on. Two more opened their first flowers this morning. Its so nice to go out in the morning to check to see whats blooming.

• Cindy zone 6a
    13 years ago

I also received Spot Starter as a bonus, and it is getting ready to bloom, any day now and it will be the first of the TB to bloom. Tons of buds everywhere on the iris, i think it is going to be a good year and it is great to see what has opened each day!! your garden is looking really good. aren't you glad you added the TB iris
    Cindy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cindy- I am very glad I got the TB Iris, it gives me something blooming each day now and I go out with the camera already to take pictures of whatever opened today. I find this lovely in May when I used to have to wait for the daylilies close to July. I already ordered more TB iris for planting this July and will be ordering even more after I finish planting this springs daylily orders and can figgure how much room I have left.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I find this lovely in May when I used to have to wait for the daylilies close to July.
    You might also want to consider adding a few of the shorter varieties of bearded irises, as they start blooming long before the TB. My shorter varieties are usually pretty well finished blooming before the TB start.

And if you want something earlier than them, consider a bunch of different daffodil cultivars as they range from very early ones to extra late.

Sue...a daff and iris addict

Here is a link that might be useful: Description of Iris Types

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I do have daffodils and have ordered more and lots of tulips too for fall planting. As for the shorter iris, I like the fancy big flowered TB types. Don't like plainer less ruffled ones or small flowers, sorry. I will stick with the TB iris. I do also have Siberian iris but they should flower after the TB and before the daylilies. I intend to try Dutch Iris which should bloom before the TB here.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am really amazed at how tall the stalks are on the TB. Yes, I know the height was probably listed in the description but nothing beats the visual of them right in front of you. Very few of my iris are blooming yet so when I look I see lots and lots of tall stalks.

• kprp
    13 years ago

Wow! That's ones is a show stopper!

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA