Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Latest Group Photo of Iris

organic_kitten
14 years ago

This is the most recent group photo of this year's iris.

kay

Comments (22)

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Very, very pretty as was the earlier picture. Now, because its only been afew days then this is still the early blooming section? Not sure because its a different angle. Could be a different bed.

What is the bi-tone orange and brown stunner at the very right? It immediately caught my attention!

It looks like you have a big empty spot in the middle. Maybe its a path. About how far apart would you say that you planted your iris? They sure do look really good. Makes me want my own really badly :-))

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rita,
    No, this being Alabama, this photo was taken about three weeks after the first one was taken and it is the "late" end of the same bed. I still have a few with buds that haven't bloomed yet, but I expect to get about 7 or 8 weeks of blooms altogether.
    kay

• sussgirl
    14 years ago

Hi!
    Ahh lovely picture -i wish my irises will grow that nice =)
    What is the name of the iris behind the blue iris that has a pink edge -Love that!! Is it "Bold Fashion" ?

/Susanne (Sweden)

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I think I understand now. You made a new bed and then planted the Iris with one end being the early bloomers, the opposite end the late bloomers and the bloom progression in the middle going from early to late.

Honestly, I would never have thought of it if you didn't put the idea in my mind, I just would have planted them willy nilly. I like your idea better and will be thinking on how I can do my own version of your idea. I must say its logical once it's pointed out but again, I would never have thought of it.

7 to 8 weeks of bloom is amazing. One of my main objections to bearded iris in the past was the short amount of time I got for bloom and then it was done for the year. I didn't have many irises but ever one bloomed at once and then that was it. Oh well, I have learned alot now and know I can do better. Still, I didn't pay any attention to bloom period when I ordered. I bet I don't have any early bloomers. Will have to check on that.

I would still like to know what that bi-tone orange and brown stunner is at the very right. I would love to get that one.

• mikesc
    14 years ago

thanks! You have really gotten great bloom from first year plants! I have also planted beds by expected bloom time. The tricky thing I learned, though, is that despite the expected time listed by hybridizers, in my own climate, some early bloomers bloomed late, late bloomers were early, etc. I just had to learn by what happened after they were planted.

I was raised in Sylacauga, AL. Are you near there?

Mike in SC

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes Sussgirl that is indeed "Bold Fashion".

Mike, You are right. This second picture is the late bloomers, but I have so-called early bloomers that are still making themselves known. I am really pleased with the blooms I got.

Rita, you see what Mike has shared. My first picture was supposed to be an area early bloomers (it was) and this picture an area for the late bloomers. The crazy Alabama weather is probably affecting them.

Mike, I am halfway between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, so not extremely far from Sylacauga, but not next door either.

Kay

• kprp
    14 years ago

Is that "Celebration SOng" in front of the bird feeder?

• happyday
    14 years ago

I agree with NYRita and love the copper orange one and also the magenta one in front, then on the left there is a single lighter magenta flower. Different name or just a lighter version?

Very pretty combination!

• sussgirl
    14 years ago

Hi again!
    Your Bold fashion is lovely! Is it a fast grower for you?
    Mine has just gotten a little of green leaves so im thinking of buying one more just in case.

/Susanne

• eroctuse2
    14 years ago

Another beautiful bed, Kay.

If I had to guess, I'd say the orange one *might* be 'Lovely Senorita', with 'Seakist' behind it.

The one in back does look like 'Celebration Song', but it's not the only variety that looks like that.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone!

I got a little behind on answering since work interfered, but here goes.

Rita, The bitone orange and brown is indeed "lovely Senorita". If you look on the other side of the bed, almost hidden by the lovely "Paul Black", there is another combo that has even more contrast than the Lovely Senorita. It is Supreme Sultan

This is Lovely Senorita"

This is "Supreme Sultan"

eroctuse2, you are good! Celebration Song"

and Seakist.

Hi Sussgirl> I've had wonderful growth from "Bold Fashion" (a picture of it after the first group shot, but I have taken many of it since it has bloomed for such a good length of time.)

I am loving these iris!
    kay

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Ha, I missed SUPREME SULTAN as it really is just about hidden. Paul Black I have seen afew pictures of on other sales sights and I flipped over it and had to have it. Its on my ordered list and looks very good blooming in your garden.

Thank you for posting more pictures (closeups). I just love my original choice of Lovely Senorita although Supreme Sultan is a great one too. If I keep going like this wanting everything and buying, I really will have no lawn left.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rita,

You know that I have that "gotta have it" bug that you have. I have another list of them now.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Well, you are way ahead of me on Iris. I will only be planting my first bearded in July. If my garden bed expansions give me more room, then I will order more for August planting. Just don't know what or how much of planned expansions and new beds will actually get done by July. Before July actually.

But I do have all these Siberian Iris now so thats a good start. Plus they take the same care that daylilies and lilies do, pile on the mulch is fine.

My plans for iris are the Siberians and to add more Siberians this fall. Then get Ditch Iris bulbs this fall and see how they do up here. Last but not lest, the TB iris although I did order three Border Bearded when I ordered from Zebra Gardens. With Schreiners, I stuck to the TB.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    14 years ago

These iris have such dramatic blooms that ir has been fun. I will soon be enjoying my day lilies as there ae now many scapes in my yard.
    kay

• happyday
    14 years ago

Gorgeous.

What are the maroon/magenta beside Lovely Senorita and light magenta behind Supreme Sultan?

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Too early here for scapes. Thats why I need things that will make a big impression before the daylilies. Of course there are always the roses and I especially love the spring flush in early June.

• tweetypye
    14 years ago

Wow, Kay, so many beautiful iris. I especially love Lovely Senorita and Supreme Sultan too. Boy, I sure do wish I could get them to grow and bloom well for me. :(
    Jan

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I really like the combo colors, I think iris people call them bi-tones. They really get your attention. At least they get mine. I have most of my Schreiners order as the bi-tone color ones. I am going to have to get some more solids and there I tend to go for the deeper really vivid colors and not the pastels.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    14 years ago

happyday, The maroon iris is Raptor Red, and the light magenta is Lady Friend.

Jan, you know from the daylilies I buy that I love the intense, bright colors. But if you didn't notice, there is a massive white one next to "Celebration Song" that is truly beautiful. It is called "Skater's Waltz". It is a massive sized bloom too.

Rita, I suspect you will have an easier time with the TB iris than I do, simply because of the cold. They need it for bloom. But the bloom does come at a good time. and the rose are beautiful now.

The stupid Japanese Beetles can't be far behind, unfortunately.

kay

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

That "Raptor Red" really got my attention. Thanks for posting the photos!
    Renee

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I am lucky here in that I have almost no Japanese Beetles. When the roses bloom, I go out and look everyday with a cup of water with soap to drown them in but I find only afew.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!