Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Todays Iris Blooms

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 18:46

Merchant Marine is so blue!

Photobucket

Merchant Marine again. I can't get used to the colors in iris. Coming from daylilies, there is nothing near this color.

Photobucket

RIO ROJO. Alot more purple than I expected. I thought it was a reddish color.

Photobucket

First Wave.

Photobucket

DOES Z DOE a bonus plant from Zebra Gardens. Can't stand it, I think its so ugly.

Photobucket

Amazing Don

Photobucket

Photobucket

And last but not least, Spot Starter.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Todays Iris Blooms

Merchant Marine is an exceptionally pretty blue. It has a nice ruffled flower too. Is it a big flower? It looks like it is.
I like First Wave very much. It's a delicious shade.

I agree with you on Doe Z Doe. I'm not nuts about the striped irises, and that one appeals to me less than any other I have seen. I think it's the brown standards. But I'm sure you'll find someone willing to take it off your hands.

Renee

o

Its (Doe Z Doe) already on the shovel prune list. Merchant Marine is the same size as Spot Starter. Pretty big flower. I really like that one LOL!

o

I love the blue irises too, I have several in various shade of blue. That is a stunning blue. I'm into the streaked iris lately, probably because they are so very different from what I have in my garden. I have to agree though, I don't care for the brown standards, it just looks muddy. Spot Starter is gorgeous!

o

I don't think I've ever seen an iris so blue ! They're all very pretty, but I agree, the striped one is my least favorite.

o

I love Does Z Doe, and MM the blue is sooo beautiful, It's my favorite color for Iris.

o

Merchant Marine is nice! I might have to get that one. I got Doe Z Doe as a bonus too and it's going to bloom pretty soon here. I think I kinda like it, but I'll have to see it in person first. With my luck, it'll bloom here when I'm in Oregon. I like Spot Starter too, but I thought it was a bit darker.

o

Sorry to say, your First Wave is incorrect.
First Wave is a heavily ruffled violet-blue self.

o

jeanricher- Thank you for catching that. I got that iris last July from Schreiners. I just went and checked and it is labeled first wave. But you know the way Schreiners sends those picture tags with all the iris? Well, there is the picture of the blue iris while you see what mine looks like. I probably would never have looked. Thing is when it bloomed I did think it was odd as I was sure I hadn't ordered anything that looks like that.

o

• Posted by kprp 7a (My Page) on
    Wed, May 12, 10 at 22:17

Oh I LIKE Does Z do! I like the stripey ones!

o

Give Does Z Doe a chance. I like it now, and it may be better next year.

o

Sorry, Kay. It is on the shovel prune list for sure. As soon as its time to plant new iris, that one is getting replaced. In fact I hate it so much, its lucky I don't rip it out right now while it is still blooming!

o

Rita,
Ship it my way, I'll give it a home.
kay

o

They are lovely. Just a note from an old iris grower. The colder your climate the more vivid the colors will be. Blue iris in Colorado will knock your socks off.

o

kay- I will be sending you an e-mail when its time to dig in July. It is not staying here.

flowergirl- I didn't know that about the iris colors and the climate. So far, I really do love the blue iris.

o

Rita,
Just let me know, I'll send postage.
kay

o

I am bumping this up because of the pictures of MERCHANT MARINE.

o

Schreiners is good about replacing errors. I ordered 'Black Dragon' and got 'Orange Dragon'. A quick call was all it took to get the Black Dragon the next season.

o

Good to know. I plan on contacting Schreiners although I have not yet done so. I plan to order from them and was waiting until I decide on my order.

o

newyorkrita - if you are SPing Doe Z Doe and have a few extra after sending to organic kitten, I would be happy to pay for postage as well... I think it is beautiful!!

o

Spicey, sorry. I gave it away already and its gone. Did go to two people.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here