Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Todays Iris Blooms

newyorkrita
13 years ago

Merchant Marine is so blue!

Merchant Marine again. I can't get used to the colors in iris. Coming from daylilies, there is nothing near this color.

RIO ROJO. Alot more purple than I expected. I thought it was a reddish color.

First Wave.

DOES Z DOE a bonus plant from Zebra Gardens. Can't stand it, I think its so ugly.

Amazing Don

And last but not least, Spot Starter.

Comments (20)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Merchant Marine is an exceptionally pretty blue. It has a nice ruffled flower too. Is it a big flower? It looks like it is.
    I like First Wave very much. It's a delicious shade.

I agree with you on Doe Z Doe. I'm not nuts about the striped irises, and that one appeals to me less than any other I have seen. I think it's the brown standards. But I'm sure you'll find someone willing to take it off your hands.

Renee

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Its (Doe Z Doe) already on the shovel prune list. Merchant Marine is the same size as Spot Starter. Pretty big flower. I really like that one LOL!

• Nancy
    13 years ago

I love the blue irises too, I have several in various shade of blue. That is a stunning blue. I'm into the streaked iris lately, probably because they are so very different from what I have in my garden. I have to agree though, I don't care for the brown standards, it just looks muddy. Spot Starter is gorgeous!

• msmisk
    13 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen an iris so blue ! They're all very pretty, but I agree, the striped one is my least favorite.

• collielover
    13 years ago

I love Does Z Doe, and MM the blue is sooo beautiful, It's my favorite color for Iris.

• mooseling
    13 years ago

Merchant Marine is nice! I might have to get that one. I got Doe Z Doe as a bonus too and it's going to bloom pretty soon here. I think I kinda like it, but I'll have to see it in person first. With my luck, it'll bloom here when I'm in Oregon. I like Spot Starter too, but I thought it was a bit darker.

• jeanrichter
    13 years ago

Sorry to say, your First Wave is incorrect.
    First Wave is a heavily ruffled violet-blue self.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jeanricher- Thank you for catching that. I got that iris last July from Schreiners. I just went and checked and it is labeled first wave. But you know the way Schreiners sends those picture tags with all the iris? Well, there is the picture of the blue iris while you see what mine looks like. I probably would never have looked. Thing is when it bloomed I did think it was odd as I was sure I hadn't ordered anything that looks like that.

• kprp
    13 years ago

Oh I LIKE Does Z do! I like the stripey ones!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Give Does Z Doe a chance. I like it now, and it may be better next year.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, Kay. It is on the shovel prune list for sure. As soon as its time to plant new iris, that one is getting replaced. In fact I hate it so much, its lucky I don't rip it out right now while it is still blooming!

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Rita,
    Ship it my way, I'll give it a home.
    kay

• flowergirl70ks
    13 years ago

They are lovely. Just a note from an old iris grower. The colder your climate the more vivid the colors will be. Blue iris in Colorado will knock your socks off.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kay- I will be sending you an e-mail when its time to dig in July. It is not staying here.

flowergirl- I didn't know that about the iris colors and the climate. So far, I really do love the blue iris.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Rita,
    Just let me know, I'll send postage.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am bumping this up because of the pictures of MERCHANT MARINE.

• iris_nut
    13 years ago

Schreiners is good about replacing errors. I ordered 'Black Dragon' and got 'Orange Dragon'. A quick call was all it took to get the Black Dragon the next season.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good to know. I plan on contacting Schreiners although I have not yet done so. I plan to order from them and was waiting until I decide on my order.

• spicymeadow
    13 years ago

newyorkrita - if you are SPing Doe Z Doe and have a few extra after sending to organic kitten, I would be happy to pay for postage as well... I think it is beautiful!!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Spicey, sorry. I gave it away already and its gone. Did go to two people.

Sponsored