Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bearded Iris blooming in the south*part 2

Posted by gardenofeden777 8a central Louisiana (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 19:23

Stairway To Heaven bloomed really well and was... well heavenly!
A lite sweet fragrance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bearded Iris blooming in the south*part 2

Jesse's Song

o

a noid & huge flower, easily twice the size of most of the others

o

Chocolate Moose not to everyones taste but I like the haphazard paint job it has. It's indecisive like me, brown or white? hum... let's do both! lol

o

Gay Stripes - Roy Felding 1957

w/ yellow noid peeking in from the side. And grows really well here. Very short at 16" but great in the front.

Some time ago Renee (hosenemesis) had put up a post entitled I believe 'What irises won't grow for you' and I had added some
and was going to add lots more to the list but... we have had our normal rainfall for the last year (which is a good soaking at least once a week) and the iris that were struggling/stunted and would not grow have just torn off! Reading constantly that they prefer drier conditions I left them alone but here that just isn't the case. They love our rainfall, also I am on a fast drying piece of land too so I'm sure that makes a big difference. No bog garden would survive here unless literally I were to sink something with hardly any holes in it as our land dries really fast. Heck, I even have a thriving xeric bed.

o

Honky Tonk Hussy Meek 1991 Alright guys and gals no snickers now! I didn't name it I just bought it. lol This is in a bed that I have expanded and was originally not supposed to be an iris garden. But I became really sick last fall and was unable to create a new bed for the truckload of iris that came in. So I expanded this bed and planted them 6" a part for there survival until I would be able to add more beds. Now I'm well but haven't completed (or started even on another mixed bed). But have been actually trying to get started on expanding my xeric. bed. Which has become a pot ghetto of sorts since my beds are really overflowing and yet more plants magically arrive! ;-)

o

The center bed that is just the temp. holding place for the iris. That bed is 14 x 35'

o

and from another angle

o

Nordica so very pretty. Fragrant & a rebloomer, woohoo!

Rena'

o

How smart you are to have a holding bed! Your iris are lovely. I especially liked Afternoon Delight.
kay

o

I love Honky Tonk Hussy! What a beauty. It reminds me of Annabelle Rose, which I have saved on my computer as a "to buy someday" iris. I love your bed- that's going to look spectacular when they are all in bloom.

I thought Nordica was a white with an orange beard.

o

How right you are Renee! I went back to the vendor that I bought it from and looked at the iris that matched my pic. and it is CHICO MAID not Nordica. Although I have Nordica also in one of the beds, it hasn't bloomed yet. Going to replace the tag with the correct one. The vendor's beautiful pic of Chico Maid caused me to buy it. The blue beards are beautiful. And it is the palest blue you can imagine without being white. A really clear pretty color not gray in the least. Thanks Renee for pointing that out.

And since you are really into foliage as well... look at this.

Oh, btw I went and ordered more of Blue J's variegated iris today. A few of each... And this pic tells the whole story on why I looove variegated plants sooo much. :-) The bud is snow white. I'll post another pic. when it blooms.

CANADIAN STREAKER

o

Thanks Kay! The afternoon fragrance of Afternoon Delight makes it twice as delightful. :-)

Um... smart Kay? Naw... but put in a pickle with boxes of iris to plant did cause a brain meltdown. lol That was my husband's suggestion. He's the thinker and I'm the impulsive one. Noooo...huh?! lol

Smart would of been to of had the bed ready BEFORE I ordered them... Have I learned my lesson? Well go take a look at how many roses, daylilies, agapanthus... there is sitting in there nursey pots waiting for there permanent home in my "other" new bed that's not been made yet either. lol

Gluttons for punishment some of us are!

Rena'

o

Gorgeous- I just ordered my first variegated iris this season. I can't wati!

o

You will love it Renee! My pallida's are looking so pretty now, they were only 2" tall for 1 year! Some just take awhile before they decide to get happy. Others were here for 2.5 years and only just now started growing. The foliage was 2-6" on a lot of them. I almost gave up on them. Thinking oh well they hate Louisiana. The rain has just done wonders for them. It is dreadful looking at the space they are taking up and they look so pitifully ugly when they just sit there sulking. Patience... patience...

Rena'

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Sun, May 5, 13 at 22:41

Love Chocolate Moose! I love the browns...I dont know why! Maybe because I can't really get too many of them in roses...and in everything in life I always like "pretty-ugly" :)

Tammy

o

What a beautiful parade of irises! I'm a absolute fiend for them myself, and I just made out like a bandit last Saturday at the Iris Society sale;) I was googling for images of some of my spontaneous purchases and came across this thread. Everywhere else it shows Honeytonk Hussy as being very dark maroon, while yours is a two toned pink and white. I know how easy it is for mislabeling to happen.... Anyway, I would love to know it's true name as it absolutely stole my heart:) Thanks!

o

Pic nr 2 is NOT Jesse's Song. Not even by a long shot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here