Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenofeden777

Bearded Iris blooming in the south*part 2

gardenofeden777
10 years ago

Stairway To Heaven bloomed really well and was... well heavenly!
A lite sweet fragrance.

Comments (17)

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jesse's Song

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a noid & huge flower, easily twice the size of most of the others

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chocolate Moose not to everyones taste but I like the haphazard paint job it has. It's indecisive like me, brown or white? hum... let's do both! lol

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gay Stripes - Roy Felding 1957

w/ yellow noid peeking in from the side. And grows really well here. Very short at 16" but great in the front.

Some time ago Renee (hosenemesis) had put up a post entitled I believe 'What irises won't grow for you' and I had added some
    and was going to add lots more to the list but... we have had our normal rainfall for the last year (which is a good soaking at least once a week) and the iris that were struggling/stunted and would not grow have just torn off! Reading constantly that they prefer drier conditions I left them alone but here that just isn't the case. They love our rainfall, also I am on a fast drying piece of land too so I'm sure that makes a big difference. No bog garden would survive here unless literally I were to sink something with hardly any holes in it as our land dries really fast. Heck, I even have a thriving xeric bed.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Honky Tonk Hussy Meek 1991 Alright guys and gals no snickers now! I didn't name it I just bought it. lol This is in a bed that I have expanded and was originally not supposed to be an iris garden. But I became really sick last fall and was unable to create a new bed for the truckload of iris that came in. So I expanded this bed and planted them 6" a part for there survival until I would be able to add more beds. Now I'm well but haven't completed (or started even on another mixed bed). But have been actually trying to get started on expanding my xeric. bed. Which has become a pot ghetto of sorts since my beds are really overflowing and yet more plants magically arrive! ;-)

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The center bed that is just the temp. holding place for the iris. That bed is 14 x 35'

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and from another angle

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nordica so very pretty. Fragrant & a rebloomer, woohoo!

Rena'

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

How smart you are to have a holding bed! Your iris are lovely. I especially liked Afternoon Delight.
    kay

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

I love Honky Tonk Hussy! What a beauty. It reminds me of Annabelle Rose, which I have saved on my computer as a "to buy someday" iris. I love your bed- that's going to look spectacular when they are all in bloom.

I thought Nordica was a white with an orange beard.

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How right you are Renee! I went back to the vendor that I bought it from and looked at the iris that matched my pic. and it is CHICO MAID not Nordica. Although I have Nordica also in one of the beds, it hasn't bloomed yet. Going to replace the tag with the correct one. The vendor's beautiful pic of Chico Maid caused me to buy it. The blue beards are beautiful. And it is the palest blue you can imagine without being white. A really clear pretty color not gray in the least. Thanks Renee for pointing that out.

And since you are really into foliage as well... look at this.

Oh, btw I went and ordered more of Blue J's variegated iris today. A few of each... And this pic tells the whole story on why I looove variegated plants sooo much. :-) The bud is snow white. I'll post another pic. when it blooms.

CANADIAN STREAKER

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Kay! The afternoon fragrance of Afternoon Delight makes it twice as delightful. :-)

Um... smart Kay? Naw... but put in a pickle with boxes of iris to plant did cause a brain meltdown. lol That was my husband's suggestion. He's the thinker and I'm the impulsive one. Noooo...huh?! lol

Smart would of been to of had the bed ready BEFORE I ordered them... Have I learned my lesson? Well go take a look at how many roses, daylilies, agapanthus... there is sitting in there nursey pots waiting for there permanent home in my "other" new bed that's not been made yet either. lol

Gluttons for punishment some of us are!

Rena'

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Gorgeous- I just ordered my first variegated iris this season. I can't wati!

• gardenofeden777
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You will love it Renee! My pallida's are looking so pretty now, they were only 2" tall for 1 year! Some just take awhile before they decide to get happy. Others were here for 2.5 years and only just now started growing. The foliage was 2-6" on a lot of them. I almost gave up on them. Thinking oh well they hate Louisiana. The rain has just done wonders for them. It is dreadful looking at the space they are taking up and they look so pitifully ugly when they just sit there sulking. Patience... patience...

Rena'

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Love Chocolate Moose! I love the browns...I dont know why! Maybe because I can't really get too many of them in roses...and in everything in life I always like "pretty-ugly" :)

Tammy

• heathersgarden
    10 years ago

What a beautiful parade of irises! I'm a absolute fiend for them myself, and I just made out like a bandit last Saturday at the Iris Society sale;) I was googling for images of some of my spontaneous purchases and came across this thread. Everywhere else it shows Honeytonk Hussy as being very dark maroon, while yours is a two toned pink and white. I know how easy it is for mislabeling to happen.... Anyway, I would love to know it's true name as it absolutely stole my heart:) Thanks!

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Pic nr 2 is NOT Jesse's Song. Not even by a long shot.