Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
iris borer, what to do with soil

Posted by lotodig z6Mid Tenn (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 19:44

I have dug up and disposed of a large clump of older Irises and of course when I did I found signs of Iris Bores.

here's my question, what do I need to do to the SOIL where the irises were planted that would make it safe to replant more Irises? I read here on this forum to pour dishwater on the spot but I don't understand what is in dishwater (beside soap)that may be effective or why not just mix up big buckets of soapy water and use that for treatment?

This fall I intend to use the blowtorch treatment and next spring I will use Merit earlier. I used it this spring but I must have waited too long for it to be effective

Thanks for any information

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: iris borer, what to do with soil

I'll make a post so that this post will drop down.

o

I would really love an answer to this, as I'm in exactly the same situation. Can anyone out there help?

o

what does the soil have to do with the bug???

would not you just treat for the bug at the appropriate time of year?

ken

o

Never heard of treating the soil? But I'm a newbie. My mom always just lifted the plant, squished the borer, dipped the corm in sulfer powder and replanted.
Her Iris are stunning!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here