Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Irises foliage is drooping

Posted by ivorykeys26 Z7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 20:45

About a month ago, a friend gave me over 20 established rhizomes that she had pulled up from her garden. They were already past bloom at the time. I wasn't able to get them in the ground for about two weeks. I was finally able to plant them about two weeks ago, and the foliage droops more every day. Hardly any of them are erect anymore. I have no idea why, or what I need to do. They are in a sunny location, planted shallowly in loose soil. I think I may have been overwatering at first, but they continue to get worse even though I have not watered in a few days. What do I need to do to perk them back up? Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Irises foliage is drooping

Hi, I am far from an expert but the same thing just happened too me. My aunt gave me a beautiful tall healthy bearded iris plant. I too planted in full sun shallowly and watched its deline. Watering was futile. So I began to think about its location at her house and it was part sun not 100% full blazing sun which is where I had placed it. So I put it in part sun now and it has fully recovered and is growing new beautiful foliage. Was the iris that you dug in 100% full sun or part? If it was in part or received shade at any point in the day I would try and replicate its original conditions. Hope this helps. Rena'

o

You can cut the foliage down to about 8" if it is flopping over. That foliage will mostly die off and after a while new leaves will emerge, nice and fresh. Don't overwater the plants- that will just rot the rhizomes. When they are ripped from the ground the existing foliage usually dies off, and once the roots start growing again new foliage will appear.

This is why many people wait until August or even September to plant rhizomes- so they don't have to look at iris stumps all summer!

Renee

o

i call it fanning them.. cut to 4 to 6 inches .... like a hand fan ..

you are supposed to do it on all dug/moved/divided iris ....

and though hosey waits til august.. you can divide your iris any time you want.. though most of us wait until the show is over ...

various pix at the link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here