Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

Rain

Nancy
12 years ago

It rained most of yesterday, all night, & all morning. Here was my back yard this morning

{{gwi:1025610}}

{{gwi:1025611}}

Peonies

{{gwi:1025612}}

{{gwi:1025614}}

Blue baptisia still isn't bloomed out much, but it is going to be nice when it does

{{gwi:1025615}}

Can't remember if I've shown this photo before,

{{gwi:1025616}}

Comments (8)

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Very nice pond you have going there in the backyard. It is really a lovely view. All that room LOL! I just love the big expanse of grass that goes all the way to the back fence under the trees.

Peonies and Baptisia looking very good. I don't have either of those plants myself. Well, just heard of Baptisia when you posted a picture the other day and I have never had luck with Peonies. The iris bed with all the iris blooming looks great.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Such beauty. I'm glad your irises were not planted under that tree.
    Renee

• Nancy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Rita, are you thinking that would be nice filled with zinnias, cosmos, & wildflowers :) DH has suggested it, he's not fond of mowing & would be happy to get rid of the lawn completely.

Ain't that the truth, Renee. We got a lot of rain, over 4" in those two days according to my gauge, but not really a hard, pounding rain. Last week though we got some of those hard rains & the back yard was much higher than this picture. It has flooded before, maybe once every 2 or 3 years. This is the 2nd time in 2 weeks. I certainly shouldn't complain, some people nearby have water in their homes. Nothing like last years flooding though. My little pond was gone within an hour after it stopped raining, it doesn't usually linger. Once we had some geese stop by for a swim :)

• madeyna
    12 years ago

It looks like you have lots of room to expand your iris beds;] I just stold another chunk from my horses pasture. You can never have too many flower beds.

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

Nancy, you know me too well. I would have some gardens in there if I could manage. But I certainly couldn't fill up all that room and the long sweep of grass does look really nice!

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Is that yellow broom? It looks nice with the hot pink peony.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

ngraham,
    Wow! Look at all the untapped room! Beautiful garden, by the way. Is that a willow tree in the middle of the temporary pond? If so, I suspect it has never been happier.

I know you are tired of the rain, and maybe it will stop soon.
    kay

• Nancy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No yellow broom, but yellow baptisia, I really love. The rain had it beat down in the picture, but it has popped back. I do have a lot of space in the back, I'm still working on expanding the front driveway bed. I'm trying to line the circle drive with daffs/daylilies/iris, mainly because I remember my grandmother's drive lined with iris. I moved several daylilies yesterday, decided I need more iris in those spots. Still have about 30' or so to go, & then I'm going to work on replacing daylilies/iris I don't really like. Been filling in with a lot of Stellas, Autumn Red, Sammy Russells that I don't care for. Actually, I may eventually fill in the entire circle with plants. I'm really liking the color. It will be a long time before I can even think about filling in the back yard :)
    That is a willow tree Kay, a curly willow. A guy at the nursery gave each of my sons a little cutting about 15 years ago. That one is particularly happy.
    Supposed to be gorgeous today, only 40% chance of rain Fri & Sat & then NO RAIN for a while.

Sponsored