What type of iris are these?

They don't do much for me....

{{gwi:1025864}}

Tia.

Sue

Comments (14)

• eroctuse2
    15 years ago

I'm sorry they don't do much for you Sue, because they look like a very happy and healthy clump of siberian irises. It certainly looks like they like you.

There is a great diversity emerging from the SIB world and I hope you might look into what else is available before you write them off entirely.

Brock

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Siberians...Thanks Brock!

Nope...they just are not my thing...after seeing so many new bearded irises bloom this season. Siberians (or those anyway) are booooooooring. I'm going to a GW swap and hopefully someone there will want them....or maybe several someones, as I have 2 clumps that size.

Sue

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I have those too, thought about bringing some to the swap. I like them though, but they spread like wildfire!

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

Hmm, I love those and don't have any of the blues (used to have them at my old place). What are you looking for to swap?

Original Author
    15 years ago

hmmm....I'd be glad to send them for postage. How/when would be a suitable time? I know the roots are not like TB rhizomes, so does one just rinse them well, wrap the root matter in moisture, and then wrap the root matter with moisture in plastic? Or could one just dig, rinse well, drain a bit, wrap in newspaper, and then ship...Priority of course?...and trim them back how far? Now or later?

email me and LMK...if interested, and anyone who wants to can post here the best way to ship...please and thanks.

Sue

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

LOL, Sue- good response...hmmm.. you caught me thinking out loud on a bulletin board.
    Will send you mail.

Debra

Original Author
    15 years ago

Debra,

I sent you a reply email yesterday, but it came back to me as having 'failed'. I sent it again this AM. Hopefully it will fly. I will be going to the Iris Farm today, but will check email tonight some time...if not to exhausted from the excitement of it all.

Sue

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

I thought you were kidding when I saw that picture. What's not to like (seriouosly)? I was just getting ready to ask about Siberian Iris when I saw this post. I want something with sword like foliage, but it's not going to be Bearded Iris because the foliage is so ratty after bloom. I've read that SI does double duty - the blooms and then the lovely foliage that is immune to disease and stays healthy looking even in the heat. Like a nice upright grass. So what is the downside? Are they invasive? My spot for them isn't particularly large. Are they easy to divide? Please tell me why I don't want them in my garden?

Original Author
    15 years ago

What's not to like (seriouosly)?
    They are 'nice' but.....in seeing some of my new TB bloom for the first time this season, I think you will maybe agree. They just lack the wow factor.

a few irises from 2008
    Now...do the NO ID Sibs compare, or are they booring? Honestly now...lol

I really don't know much about the Sibs other than I planted a few, a few years back, and that is how they look this season. I'm wondering if left alone if the clump will deteriorate, and need lifted and divided...or else the blooms will dwindle. Anyone care to share some Siberian info?

That clump is about 15"-18" across, and it was just a some individual (unsure how many) very dried up looking little bulb like things I planted in fall 2006 I think. I think they had been out of the ground for a month or so b4 I got to them.....back when I was a Bad Plant Mommy.

Sue

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    15 years ago

heh heh.
    Sue -I give you 2-3 years before you find yourself adding siberians.
    maybe you want to try a nice white or a pale blue?? I have some ;)

Original Author
    15 years ago

No thanks Frank...I'll stick to the bearded ones...even if there is an occasional 1 out of thousands that is considered yucky...lol.

Speaking of boring and/or yucky, how does this one strike your fancy? Like I said in my email...it is better in the pic than what it is 'in person'.

I still have to go smell it, but it has rained all day. Do you think the smell will have pretty well washed away on any open blooms? I really need to get a pic of it too in natural light...so maybe someone can give their professional opinion as to whether or not it might be Sambucina.

{{gwi:1025867}}

Sue

• Nancy
    15 years ago

You have some beautiful iris!

Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Nancy!

Surely my post just above yours did not prompt that compliment...LMAO....

Anywho...I am so looking forward to the swap, and still need to get with you about so many things....we talked (emailed) about so much...and I need to start getting that ton of stuff together. The swap is in just 2 short weeks. I think I still have your phone number so we can get everything covered with the least amount of time doing it.

Sue

• kprp
    15 years ago

I used to take my Siberian iris (very similar if not the same variety as yours) for granted.

Then, some years ago the clump started to die out.

Now I get no bloom at all. :( And now I miss them.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH