Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Siberian Iris in Pots ?

Posted by zooba72 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 21:14

Hello Everyone,

I have two questions ... I've read that Siberian Iris can survive in pots. Is that true? I'm in zone 7, Long Island, NY and we had a tough winter. Has anyone been successful growing them in pots? I have a number of concrete containers that I'm looking to fill with a perennial.

My Second question is dependent upon whether the 1st question is possible. I was curious if they will survive in pots, can I transplant them now? (Early/Mid May)?

Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Siberian Iris in Pots ?

I have several growing in the foam type of pots in the northern Virginia/DC area and they overwintered fine. Our low temps were in the single digits this year.
I'd wait until after they bloom to transplant them

o

Siberians can be grown in pots. I have grown them in pots and in the ground both with no problems here Minneapolis. For pots good drainage and plenty of water for Siberians. Normal division is recommended for August/September, but they are not really all that fussy.

o

Taken from The Society for Siberian Irises . . . . . . . .

COLD CLIMATES: Spring is the best time to plant or divide, with August as second choice. This gives the plant a chance to establish a good root system before winter rolls in. WARM CLIMATES: Avoid the hot weather periods; many prefer the cooler fall period.

The depth of your container is important. I didn't see that but assume 16 inches is a good minimum.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.socsib.org/ssicult.htm

o

Thanks Everyone for the responses. The depth of the containers might be a problem. They're probably around 12" deep. I'm considering burying them a bit or covering them with a heavy mulch prior to the winter. Again, thanks for the info.

o

COLD CLIMATES zone 4 in Minnesota qualifies. I have been growing Siberians for some decades here, mostly in the ground, but back when I was selling perennials, I wintered them in 6" pots pretty successfully. I also successfully divided them both in the spring and in late summer, early autumn. What I did was essentially bury the pots and then mulch them, which should work for zone 7 since it worked just fine for temperatures below -20 F here. It doesn't work so well here for the Japanese irises, since they are quite a bit less hardy. The two types are sometimes confused, which is why I mentioned them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here