Posted by regattagirl 4a Minneapolis (My Page) on
Thu, May 21, 09 at 21:22

I got some iris in a trade.

TB - 'Corn Harvest'
SDB - 'Blitz'
unknown1 - light yellow with burgandy "thumbprint on the falls"
unknown2 - stem has burgandy base at rhizome
unknown3 - the gardener said "pale lavender, old fashioned'

So any guess as to what she meant by "old fashioned"? And I know, depending on the person, it will mean different things.

Thanks,
Regattagirl
p.s. Caught the bug (always do). Looking forward to getting to know you all.
p.s.s. Background: Have had iris at my mother's house for about 8 years - the only one I know is 'Batik'. She's had iris since 1960 but not serious about collecting or even knowing the names, as all were acquired by trades. I'm getting her interested in SBD since they bloom nearly with the tulips and the rabbits don't SEEM to prefer them.
p.s.s.s. I live in a townhouse and I'm trying them in containers because it's REAL frustrating to only work with annuals each year. I overwintered hosta successfully last year so this will be interesting. Also, I put some iris at my guy's house last fall which his folks pulled out of their landscape (only fans so far).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is meant by 'old fashioned'?

Oops. I meant to "show my loot"...

A Real Good Trade

o

Wow! You scored!
I assume she means historic by old-fashioned. Hmmm, my short term memory is almost gone, but I think I read somewhere recently that they are irises that are at least 30 years old. Or something like that.

They usually don't have all of the ruffles or the huge size of the modern hybrids, but the pale-blue/lavendar one I have has a scent from heaven.

Renee

o
Re: What is meant by 'old fashioned'?

Great! I'm looking forward to the smells!

Thanks so much for the info.

Also in the photo is MORE I got from her:
Anthemis kelwayi 'Golden Marguerite' (Camomile)
Chrysanthemum rubellum 'Clara Curtis' (Mum Daisy, C. Rubellum)

She was super nice and has some other SDB that I might get next year. I just have to show up with what she wants. Trading is a good thing.

o
re: What is meant by 'old fashioned'?

Also, I got a TON (way too much) of a "cobalt blue Siberian" from another person on FreeCycle.

o

I know many people are extremely fond of the old historic iris. Myself, I prefer ones with lots of ruffles and very dramatic coloring.

I remember iris growing around the neightborhood that were not as big flowered or ruffley as the new modern ones.

Your loot looks good. Stick around and you will just get more obsessed just like the rest of us LOL.

o
re: What is meant by 'old fashioned'?

Thanks Rita for the info...it will be so fun to see what appears. I am from the country and so simple things are just fine with me just as well as anything...especially if acquired by trade...but I love to be shocked by the grand and unusual at the same time.

As far as obsession? Yes. I'm right on track. I had hoped about 8 years ago to finally get a garden. At the time, my mother was "holding" some iris (had a small case of iris fever) and hosta in her garden for me (I call them hostages, get it?). I also get her perennials as gifts and I'll be owed a split of everything some day! Anyway, I ended up in this townhouse and have had enough! I am trying containers even if everyone says it can't be done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here