Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mantis__oh

Iris in the heat

mantis__oh
11 years ago

More ups and downs in the weather category. But some plants are tolerating it better than I do.

MAJESTIC RULER (not the best pic; Badlands is to the left)

SATURN

BADLANDS

DRINKS AT SUNSET

CANTOR

PAUL BLACK (another first-year iris for me)

GLOWING SMILE (wonderful this year, but it is an older cultivar)

quite tall

Is this RITE OF SPRING?

VICTORIA FALLS (with an old pink, perhaps Vanity)

What is this very old cultivar--quite short?

Looks fine in the perennial bed as a border plant.

Don't know the name of this one.

Comments (11)

• User
    11 years ago

Beautiful Iris! I especially like Glowing Smile. If it helps any, here is Rite of Spring blooming in my yard a couple weeks ago. Ann

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Your Iris all look great in the heat. I really, really like those first three with SATURN and BADLANDS tied for my favorite.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Those are all so pretty, Rita. Majestic Ruler is obviously blooming earlier for you than it has for me. Mine is still blooming here, I think it just opened Monday. Glowing Smile if very pretty. That could be Vanity with Victoria Falls, the shape is right & the size of the flower seems right. I haven't a clue what the next one is, but quite pretty too. One always needs some shorter ones for the front ;) I thought at first glance the last one might be Stairway to Heaven. Your iris have really busted out.

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Looked up & saw Rita's name in the line above & that is what went into my note :)

• ctmark
    11 years ago

Your shorter mystery iris sure looks like my Wild Jasmine. It's supposed to be typical height for a TB but mine is also always shorter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wild Jasmine

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bloombuddie. Obviously not Rite of Spring. I think it's Olympiad.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, here's another shot of what must be Wild Jasmine. Is always very short here. And yes, Nancy, the last one must be Stairway to Heaven. People here know their iris!

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I have Majestic Ruler myself but not blooming yet so that just adds to the confusion!

Mantis, Wild Jasmine is sure a beauty.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Gorgeous, ruffly, colorful irises. You have a lot of new varieties! I love Drinks at Sunset and Glowing Smile really does glow in your garden. What an aptly named iris.

Your last pretty blue and white iris is not Stairway to Heaven, and I think your Paul Black is mislabled. Paul Black is a self, not a bitone like yours. Could yours be Tom Johnson? I'm not good at IDs, just a guess.

I think your ID for Olympiad is correct. A beautiful iris. My favorite photo is the Vanity and Victoria Falls together. What a charming combination.

Renee

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Right, Renee, the one I labeled Paul Black is Crete. I will see Paul Black later. Both were on the same order, and I am trying to match order names with pictures. Maybe someone else can help with the last iris.

• mantis__oh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Right, Renee, the one I labeled Paul Black is Crete. I will see Paul Black later. Both were on the same order, and I am trying to match order names with pictures. Maybe someone else can help with the last iris.

Sponsored
Landmark Surfaces / United Granite
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Award Winning Countertop Fabricator & Installer in Northern Virginia