Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another Iris ID request!

Posted by tabarhodes 5, NM (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 21:36

I have no clue what Iris this is. I thought I had planted Supreme Sultan here, but I guess not!
unkown iris

Here is a link that might be useful: Unkown Iris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another Iris ID request!

It looks really similar to Spiced Custard.

http://www.schreinersgardens.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SIGO&Product_Code=SPIC

o

I think you might be right! I have no clue how I ended up with that!! I guess you really buy at your own risk at Wal-mart!! I bought 2 bags of iris from them 2 years ago, 1 Supreme Sultan and 1 Tennessee Woman and ended up with no Supreme Sultan, some Carnival Song , some Tennessee Woman and this one!!

o

i had the same problem....i buy a certain iris and it doesnt look like its suppose to.....i was told its because different climates and soils will change the color of iris...i bought one simular to the one you show and it was suppose to be a dark golden yellowy orange color and it was alot lighter color.....its the same when i order a black one and its always a dark purple...i also want a blue one that wont turn out to be purple....

o

Gorgeous detailed picture!

irisfan ~ when you read about climate "changing" the color it may be mis-leading. The color may be more intense some years. And all "blue" beardeds are not delphinium or forget me not blue. Only less lavender or purple. The light "blues" are closer. Oregon Skies comes to mind. There are some old threads on black iris. This is one I copied:

Posted by: slate_stone z6Tn on Sun, May 29, 05 at 4:50
Best Blacks should include BLACKOUT. I grow all these mentioned witht the exception of Randy's seedling and dark passion. My favorites are in this order.
BEFORE THE STORM
BLACKOUT
MATT McNAMES
MIDNIGHT OIL (BAd stalks lovely flower)
BLACK SUITED
I would say these are the top 5

o

this iris looks like fall fiesta to me....i have one just like it and i bought it at walmart....trully rita

o

It does look exactly like Fall Fiesta. Thanks irisfan!

o

Remember Mart iris have better than 50% chance of being WRONG...

D

The Dutch growers send tons to wholesales such as White Flower Farm and others like Michigan Bulb with just saying black they pick pictures and that is what they sale it as. NOT correct. Many times you will receive a white one that was packaged as a Black.

Many years ago we did an experiment with 5 people all over the USA, we bought 5 each of Mart iris and planted with what they said it was to look like. We ended up with 90% NOT RIGHT...

D

o

irisfan
For as Black Iris you could try Schreiner's 'Old Black Magic' which is a stunning Black and has never failed for us

Here is a link that might be useful: OLD BLACK MAGIC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here