Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this smell

Posted by burwoodbelle 6-7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 17, 09 at 21:45

I have this terrible oder coming from my iris beds.Whats wrong,and what must I do?We have had 9 inches of rain this mo.in Middle TN.

Thanks for any help.

PAT.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this smell

Oh, no. Maybe you didn't bury him deep enough.

Renee

o

Hahahaha...thats hilarious! When we moved into our house nine years ago, the only flower "bed" we had was one that looked like a person was buried on top of the ground and covered in dirt. Aptly named, the dead mans grave. It's gone now, but thanks for the memories.

But seriously, maybe rot or something? I'm not sure.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, May 18, 09 at 8:35

A grower near us had the same problem. She found out it was bacterial root rot. She had to get rid of all her plants because by the time she noticed it, it had spread to other plants as well. She then went to a garden centre and got a spray to remove it from the soil. I looked it up in my book and it says to dig up the rhizome, cut the infected part away, sterilize the clippers in between each cut, and then sprinkle with horticultural sulfur. Hope this helps. Marg

o

But seriously, it does sound like the rhizomes are rotting. Have you tried digging one up?

I'll have extras in fall when I divide. I'd be happy to help replenish your losses.

Renee

o

have you considered iris borers. noticed iris get a sickly
sweet rotten smell when they are attacked.

o

nothing sweet smelling about this almost make me sick working in them.

pat

o

Renee] I would love to trade daylilys for iris!think I am going to need some new iris,started making some new beds today not sure how to treat the old beds. what will I be able to put in the old bed.maybe daylilys.

PAT L.

o

Hi Pat,
If you get enough sun, you may be able to solarize the old beds by covering them with clear plastic and tacking it down. I can't remember how long it takes to kill the bad guys in the soil, but it might be a week at 140 degrees or something like that.

If you send me an email I'll send you a list of what I have.

Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here