Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found Iris Question

Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 21:48

My husband and I own a 10 acre property and we were out walking it today because we are going to start building on it soon. Prior to us buying it, it was all pasture land used for cattle and hay. I was really surprised today, because out in the middle of the field, there was an iris clump growing. The iris were about 1/2 the size of most iris you see growing, and only about 2 feet tall. I have no idea why it would be there! I was going to bring it home , but the rhizome was buried too deep for me to take without having a shovel. I think I'll go back this week with a shovel and collect it before the area gets mowed later next week.
Any ideas how it got there? I'm not very well versed in irises, never mind wild iris. Does it look familiar to anyone? The veining is actually dark brown in person, but looks more purple in the picture.

photo wildiris_zpsd727715e.jpg

This post was edited by TNY78 on Fri, May 10, 13 at 21:56

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found Iris Question

Looks like a very old one!! I love it! Save them. I would love a start if you dig them. Can trade or send you postage. I have a good collection of lod ones. Historic . I will see if I can help ID it.

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Sat, May 11, 13 at 7:32

Would be glad to Aquawise! You can't tell in the picture, but its a good sized clump. I love it too...I go for the brown/yellow combos a lot :)

Tammy

o

I have a couple of those colors, Cant dig until July.

Here is a link that might be useful: my Iris 2012

o

Probably Flavescens. How did it get there? Possibly dropped by an animal. Some animals like young shoots of iris but very few like the rhizome. I have heard of crow, squirrel, deer all stealing rhizomes, and dropping them somewhere else. Flavescens is a very old iris, it is not native to the US but is a natural hybrid that was discovered growing 'wild' in Europe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here