Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion planting for Iris

Posted by mrtoad 7b NC (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 08 at 22:04

I am planning to create an iris bed - probably 26 X 4 feet - what other plants (if any) could be used as companion planting - any suggestion would be helpful

thanks - mr toad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion planting for Iris

Plants that don't require moist soil and love sun. You don't want anything that will 'smother' the iris rhizome. Might try a search as this topic has come up before.

I like roses best with mine. But in my mixed beds there are Shastas, daylilies, lavender, physosteghia (aggressive), spring bulbs, Nigella, alstromeria, mums, asters, salvia, etc.

o

One plant that I like in my iris bed is California poppies. They are annuals that re-seed. When there are too many, then you just need to yank them out. They will bloom after the irises are over and so prevent the bed from looking too boring when out of bloom. I also like the tall purple alliums here and there among the irises.

o

My perennial bed is about 14 feet x 10 feet and contains a semi-circle of Queen in Calico, Mother Earth and a small iris (dainty) in this bed. Also are daylilies, coreopsis, Sedum (Autumn Joy) a grass with flowers, Echinacea, Liatris, Lilies, Shasta Daisy.

Vicki

o

great idea on the california poppies - might try that!

o

I am in zone 7b in NC and my reseeded California poppies are already past their peak. I am fairly new to iris so I don't have many suggestions that I've tried myself. A friend has a sloped bed planted with iris and a variety of low growing sedums that I think is great.

o

annual Verbena is great too --- reseeds nicely.

o

you might also want to try belcamanda (spelling?) lily
which is actually in the iris family, also candy lily.
they require same protection from iris borers as well.
i just transplanted some into my iris bed and they're
doing splendidly. will bloom in august in my area.
they have sword like leaves and don't shade out the iris
rhisomes.

o

I like sedums and nepeta.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here