Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellatheball_gw

When can I cut down the foliage? (New to irises obviously)

bellatheball
17 years ago

I'm just looking ahead. When should I cut down the foliage on irises?

Comments (9)

• laurief_gw
    17 years ago

Healthy green iris foliage should not be cut down at all. The plant needs its foliage to continue to feed itself for next year's bloom. Foliage should only be removed or cut back when it is dead, dying, or diseased. It can also be cut back to about 6-9" when dividing and replanting to prevent the full foliage from pulling the plant over before it is rooted in securely.

Laurie

• bellatheball
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laurie, thanks. How long does that usually take? The reason I ask is that I love iris foliage. I have one planted in my garden (last fall) that's about 10 inches tall but no bloom. If the foliage will be there all summer (which would be great!) than I won't plan to put any annuals in the near area.

• laurief_gw
    17 years ago

The foliage will remain all summer and fall, though the outer leaves of the fan may die off as the season progresses. If that should happen, just remove the old dead leaves. The younger, inner leaves will remain green. Bearded irises are prone to leaf spot under certain circumstances, so keep an eye out for that.

Laurie

• mtshasta_sis
    17 years ago

Hi Laurie, I have been debating what to do about this subject. Last year I heard that Schreiners cuts their follage back to the ground late in the fall. My local iris club is recommending the same.
    I have not done this sense I started growing iris seriously for 4 years now. But it would help with spring clean up and for the second wet year, and too much ground cover I am having some soft rot. And I believe that would help eliminate that situation also. Now I am not talking about a Sept trim when the plants are still using their green leaves but late late perhaps Nov. Think I might try it.
    Sis

• wilko1
    15 years ago

We planted iris bulbs in front of our Mas in Provence. They bloomed well in March. The problem is that they now look untidy. What will be the effects be if I cut them back hard now. If I cut them back how much.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Wilko

• naildoc_cox_net
    13 years ago

I left the irises for the birds during the winter months. Should I cut them down now?

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

What kind of irises are they, Leslie?
    Are they siberian, or Louisiana, or tall bearded types?
    Renee

• chichi6_cox_net
    12 years ago

It is June in Oklahoma and already temps are soaring to 90+. I need to relocate some iris because they are cutting off sun to my annuals. Can I move them now?

Sponsored