Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When can I cut down the foliage? (New to irises obviously)

Posted by bellatheball z5 IA (My Page) on
Thu, May 18, 06 at 22:35

I'm just looking ahead. When should I cut down the foliage on irises?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When can I cut down the foliage? (New to irises obviously)

• Posted by laurief z3b northern MN (My Page) on
    Thu, May 18, 06 at 23:34

Healthy green iris foliage should not be cut down at all. The plant needs its foliage to continue to feed itself for next year's bloom. Foliage should only be removed or cut back when it is dead, dying, or diseased. It can also be cut back to about 6-9" when dividing and replanting to prevent the full foliage from pulling the plant over before it is rooted in securely.

Laurie

o

Laurie, thanks. How long does that usually take? The reason I ask is that I love iris foliage. I have one planted in my garden (last fall) that's about 10 inches tall but no bloom. If the foliage will be there all summer (which would be great!) than I won't plan to put any annuals in the near area.

o

• Posted by laurief z3b northern MN (My Page) on
    Fri, May 19, 06 at 9:27

The foliage will remain all summer and fall, though the outer leaves of the fan may die off as the season progresses. If that should happen, just remove the old dead leaves. The younger, inner leaves will remain green. Bearded irises are prone to leaf spot under certain circumstances, so keep an eye out for that.

Laurie

o

Hi Laurie, I have been debating what to do about this subject. Last year I heard that Schreiners cuts their follage back to the ground late in the fall. My local iris club is recommending the same.
I have not done this sense I started growing iris seriously for 4 years now. But it would help with spring clean up and for the second wet year, and too much ground cover I am having some soft rot. And I believe that would help eliminate that situation also. Now I am not talking about a Sept trim when the plants are still using their green leaves but late late perhaps Nov. Think I might try it.
Sis

o

We planted iris bulbs in front of our Mas in Provence. They bloomed well in March. The problem is that they now look untidy. What will be the effects be if I cut them back hard now. If I cut them back how much.
Thanks in anticipation.
Wilko

o
Irises

I left the irises for the birds during the winter months. Should I cut them down now?

o

What kind of irises are they, Leslie?
Are they siberian, or Louisiana, or tall bearded types?
Renee

o

It is June in Oklahoma and already temps are soaring to 90+. I need to relocate some iris because they are cutting off sun to my annuals. Can I move them now?

o

Judy, I don't think anyone saw your post. You may want to start a new one with this question. I moved some irises today. They are tough. Sometimes you sacrifice a year's bloom if you move them too early, but I think it would be okay.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here