Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Older varieties: Pur/Wh & shorter yl/Br

Posted by penelope Z6 KY (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 23:32

These two were on the property when I got here 10 years ago.
I think that they were hand-me-downs.

Thanks so much, Penny

Simple pur/wh

This yellow & brown one is short (I can measure) It will bloom in what I consider fairly shady conditions.

Yl /Br

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Older varieties: Pur/Wh & shorter yl/Br

I know, I know, well I think I know the second one.

I think it is Honorabile, but I'm clueless on the first one though.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Google images for Honorabile

o

Yes, that yellow one looks just like my Honorabile.

~CA

o

the first one definitely looks like helen collingwood, does it have purple based foliage? if it does than it is defintely helen collingwood!

o
Response

Yes - I think that they are both correct.

'Helen Collingwood' does have what I would call blue-green foliage. I can only get 32" for the height - but this is not in full sun. The time frame seems right.

'Honorabile' is adorable - He even blooms in the shade.

Thanks so much, this has given me a new appreciation for older TB Iris.

o

Penelope- when Ashes says "purple-based" foliage, they mean look down at the bottom of the leaves near the rhizome and see if there is a reddish or purplish tinge on the leaves way down there. Some irises have this reddish tinge, and others have just plain old green leaves.

o

and on that note about pbf (purple based foliage) look carefully. i don't have helen colling wood so i don't know the extent of its pruple colouring. i say this because my pallida's all have pbf, but by the time blooming comes around all you can really see is just a purple line on the edge of the leaves near the bottom. i have another pbf that does the same thing that i think is angelus. so look closely, if you see any than it probably is helen collingwood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here