Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color variations in same cultivar?

Posted by honalee 3a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 1:18

I haven't had irises long enough to really form an opinion about this yet so I'm asking the forum. I have two Supreme Sultan irises that were purchased through different sources that have bloomed different. Not REALLY different but different enough to notice at first glance. One has rather yellow standards and mahogany falls and the other has almost mustard tan/orange standards and deep mahogany falls. Could they just be that way from different sources or do I have another case of mistaken identity? I do have Circus World as well that hasn't bloomed yet?

Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color variations in same cultivar?

Could you post pictures? Some people ID noids based on similarities which can lead to mistaken ID's. Did they bloom at the same time or a week apart?

o

I ,ve noticed the same thing with one of mine. I purchased one prepackaged from wal-mart and one from the local nursery. Its Supersition.One bloomed out with absolutly no other color on it,just a real solid dark purple like the pic. on the package. The other one bloomed out with a little burgandy on the start of the fall and a tiny hint of white as well. I,m thinking the second on was missmarked since the pic shows nothing other than purple.

o

I am trying to get my pics downloaded but this old computer has other ideas. They bloomed about 3-5 days apart.

Ginny

o

If this is maiden bloom in your garden there's a possibility their previous year's environment influenced color? I would evaluate them again next year. The stalk's branching pattern should be identical, even tho the height may differ a bit.

Also if I have placed a division in a different spot in the garden, it can bloom a few days behind/ahead of its 'twin'. Microclimates.

o

I know for sure that one of them bloomed last year but can't remember if the other one did. These two are only about 6 feet apart in the same bed. I'm going to ask my neighbour if she will download my photos so I can post them. In the meantime I will have to go back to my previous receipts and see where they came from. I'm pretty sure they are both two years old.

Ginny

o

Packaged irises from the box stores cannot be trusted to be true to name. You might get the correct one, you might not. My experience has been 50-50 with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here