Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated iris leaves, white or yellow?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 1:43

In a public garden a few weeks ago I saw some striking stands of an iris with variegated leaves, green leaves with a yellow edge. The leaves were quite wide and flowers were purple-blue, which made a great contrast with the yellow edge. But good-looking leaves when it is NOT blooming are the most important. This would be perfect for a garden I'm changing that needs a small jot of yellow to harmonize with existing plants with a creamy yellow edge. I was heading to a big nursery, so decided to see if I could find one. They did have variegated iris, but theirs all had white edges, not yellow. The plants there are all grown in a greenhouse, so are not raised under natural light conditions.

Would those white edges become yellow when grown in sunlight? I'm going back there is a few days, so thought I'd ask here first. If was kind of pricey, so if it will stay white, I don't want it. What are these called? Thanks.

This post was edited by linnea56 on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 1:56

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated iris leaves, white or yellow?

From what I've read no. This link gives some names and information.

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated iris

o

• Posted by val1 z4 UT (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 11:29

The white will not become yellow when grown in sunlight. I grow both the green and white variegated and the green and yellow variegated. When I first purchased them years ago, I thought they were the same but as the plants matured the difference was unmistakable. They were grown in the same area with the same amount of light, water, etc. The yellow seems to grow a little taller and have slightly larger blooms than the white.

o

Thank you both. I will have to keep my eyes open for the yellow one elsewhere, then.

o

No, they will not change their variegation. Also, irises with yellow variegation are more robust, grow and multiply quicker and overall look healthier than the irises with white variegation.

On the picture below, you can see 3 of my variegated irises: 2 with yellow stripes and one with white. Growing conditions are identical. But Yellow-striped are twice as big, 3 times more flowers and are pretty much ready to be divided by their third year while the white-variegated are somewhat dwarfish and a very mediocre bloomer:

photo DSC03040_zps24fa518f.jpg

o

I noticed Schreiner's has the yellow pallida variegata this year. Green Go's photo makes me think I need a few of those myself...

o

I grow both pallida 'Aurea Variegata' and 'Argentea Variegata', and have also noticed the size and vigor differences.
I've got a couple of other variegated varieties on order from Blue J, who lists several, and also a new one from Mid-America called 'Variegated Wonder'. The latter is a sport from 'Wonders Never Cease'. The pictures look beautiful.... Anticipation...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here