Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rare Treat (pics)

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 1:52

I don't grow Rare Treat, but I grow Classic Look, a similar plicata. I think Rare Treat may be even lovelier. Here it is at Matilija Nursery this last April 12:
Photobucket

And a clump on the San Fernando Valley Garden Tour on April 10:
Photobucket

Here is a clump of Classic Look from several years ago to compare:
Photobucket
And a close-up:
Photobucket

I think both are beautiful. Classic Look has nicely flared falls. Rare Treat seems to have more ruffles, and that pretty pattern on the purple edges. Both are very clean and the contrast is great between the white and the blue-purple. The standards of both seem to glow in the right light. I don't know how prolific Rare Treat is, but once it gets going, Classic Look is a great performer, and it seems to do better in cold climates, according to some growers.
Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rare Treat (pics)

I have both of these, & would have a hard time choosing between them. Rare treat is newer, but seems to be growing nicely.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 8:39

I think I like Rare Treat. It an come live in my garden any time!

o

Gorgeous!

o

Admiring these.... Spring is so far away! I have American Classic, variation on the theme. Rare Treat looks like it has finer stitching and paler blue. Beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here