Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Total Recall pics

hosenemesis
12 years ago

It's rebloom time here in CA! I love one rebloomer above all others. Here are some shots of Total Recall this year and from past years.

Today, with Jennifer Rebecca and Cajun Rhythm:

{{gwi:537100}}

With Julia Child rose and lamb's ear earlier this year:

{{gwi:527633}}

In a clump last year:

{{gwi:621513}}

{{gwi:267364}}

This is usually the first iris to bloom for me, and it blooms from March until July, then takes a month or two off, and continues to bloom from September until early January. Each fan blooms, so there is not alot of foliage without bloom like you see in some rebloomers (Frequent Flyer, for instance). I recommend this iris for anyone in the Southern California hot zones.

Renee

Comments (9)

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

That's one pretty iris and some luscious photos. That fifth shot with the path and the foxgloves in the back belongs in a magazine, gorgeous!

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

Not sure what you meant when you said it blooms from March to July -huh?? My iris bloom for about 10 days and then show is over. This one keeps putting up new bloom stalks?

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes. Continuously from March to July. Non-stop. I had just two days without open flowers this spring so far, May 18 and 19. There are eight stalks right now, most in bloom-it's slowing down for the summer break. I fear what it would do if I fertilized. It might bloom itself out of existence. The only iris I have ever seen that bloomed as much was Grandma's Purple Flag, but that reproduces so much I could not keep up with the division.

It does not perform like this in cold climates, and can actually kill itself by trying to bloom when frost is coming.

Renee

• newyorkrita
    12 years ago

What a great iris for warm climates. It is stunning in all your pictures. Your garden is always so lovely!

• sunnyjay
    12 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!! Your garden should be featured in a magazine! All the pictures are beautiful! Your Julia Child rose is a beauty! I have that rose (planted it last year) but it doesn't look half as good as yours.
    Jason

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Now I'm going to worry about my Total Recall killing itself, it didn't bloom at all this spring! It still seems to be there though, if one can trust my tags, which one can't.
    Your garden pictures are all beautiful, but especially the one of your path & the arbor. Magazine cover perfect.

• madeyna
    12 years ago

You have a stunning garden. I love total recall even if it doesn,t bloom as well for me. It always trys for a fall rebloom but the rain rots of the blooms.

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Your path shot is a classic.

What is your opinion of Jennifer Rebeccas's coloring/looks?

Also love the shot with lamb's ears & Julia Childs. Do you allow your lamb's ears to bloom and if so does it show individual "clumps" up the stem?

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all. Iris gal, I love the color of Jennifer Rebecca, and the form is very pretty. The flower is smallish, and it does not last a heck of a long time, but I like it. The problem for me is the lack of vigor. I bought this iris in spring from a grower when it was in bloom, and the one little rhizome just sat in the ground and tried to rot itself to death for two years. I moved it to a prime location, and it still rots a bit, but at least it grew and bloomed. We'll see if it reblooms next year, I suppose.

I do let the lamb's ears bloom- I like the orchid color. I don't get clumps up the stem, though. I also thin out the blooms, especially those that are falling over or crooked. The plant is a pain, though, I have to divide it every year, and it's a lot tougher to divide than irises.

Renee

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths