Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best mulch for Bearded Iris?

Posted by terry-upstate-ny 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 4:55

I have been planting Bearded Irises for several years, but I usually do not use a mulch because I thought that the rhizome is not supposed to be covered. Is it ok to cover the rhizome with a mulch? My irises don't bloom every year, some have not blooomed at all although they have been growing for a couple of years.
Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best mulch for Bearded Iris?

on my pure yellow mineral sand.. with incredibly high drainage.. and otherwise bone dry ..

i have no problem with wood chips ... pretty heavy also ..

since i grow the iris in the conifer beds ... they get no supplemental water.. and no fert ... nothing.. nada ... nil.. zero .. etc .. [except at planting of course]

the sand is so dry by mid july .. that it becomes nearly water repellent without the mulch ...

i think the key .. and i welcome correction or observation ... is that the roots need moisture.. but the rhizome want to basically be dry ... too much moisture.. and they tend to rot ...

am i spot on.. or way off base??

if spot on.. the issue is not so much the mulch.. but how it all works with your soil.. your drainage... and how it all coalesces in your garden ...

ken

here is a pic .. too bad they werent in bloom ...
Photobucket

o

• Posted by bari26 6 (Cape Cod) (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 10:20

Don Spoon, of Winterberry Gardens irises, once (or twice) told us that you could use Pine Bark mulch on iris beds (not too thick, though).... I do use it here on Cape Cod, but the soil is basically sand (I add a lot of top soil and Compost/Humus (sp?)), so the drainage is good.

o

I have the large pine bark nuggets mulch on my TB iris beds. It is the only place that I use them. They are too big for any of my other beds but are great for the iris.

Ken, your garden is lovely.

o

Ken- what is that wonderful thing with the white tips in your garden? I have never seen anything like that in my life. Just breathtaking.
Renee

o

Can the pine bark cover the rhizome? Beautiful picture Ken.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Terry

o

• Posted by bari26 6 (Cape Cod) (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 9:00

Well, too bad I didn't have the sense to ask Don about whether the pine bark could/should cover the rhizome... but, if I were to guess, I'd say it's probably best not to cover the rhizome (if you can help it.... mine somehow usually end up not only covered with the mulch, but also manage to sink into the soil and I have to try to scrape the dirt off the rhizome the next year... finally figured out that this is not necessarily because they are planted in a sandy soil, but because the area where the new rhizomes get planted really hasn't had time to settle)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here