Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disease ID and solution?

Posted by ctreynard Zone 6--MA (ctreynard@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 6:56

Hey, all! Noob to irises here. I bought a clump of iris from a nursery, and the leaves were spotty (end of season sale, just thought it was due to iris being in a container for so long.) I trimmed off the edges with issues, and now it's back. Do I have to dig up the whole clump and dispose? Is there a solution? I'd love to save the iris, but fear that this may have spread to a nearby clump which used to be perfect. :(

Thank you for taking the time to read. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disease ID and solution?

It is iris fungal leaf spot most likely. It occurs more in rainy or foggy weather. Overhead watering would also contribute. Some years are bad, others none. Doesn't kill the rhizome. Next spring new growth will be clean.

Continue to cut away the infected leaves or trimming. If you wish you can spray now with a fungicide to prevent further spreading. I think directions call for repeat sprays. Daconil is one some people use. I have used whatever was on hand for the roses.

An unsightly thing but not life threatening like soft rot. Digging up the clump is unnecessary. Hopefully next year it won't appear!

o
RE: Disease ID and solution?

Thank you very kindly for the advice iris_gal.
:) Will do, and much appreciated that I don't have to get rid of my "before the storm" clump. I think I've given a dozen people the iris bug with that clump, so I was hoping that I wouldn't have to destroy it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here