Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chocolateis2b8

How do you label your iris's?

chocolateis2b8
13 years ago

I've made an order of 21 named iris's and I'm thinking of keeping them named.

I do collect hostas and keep them named, but they are easier since their leaf color, size, texture, patterns, ect, make them more distinct than iris fronds not in bloom.

Please let me know what you all do to keep your iris straight.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

• mombo
    13 years ago

I won't be much help with this but I'll tell you what I do with my no names (NOIDS). I give them a name. Besides Schreiners (one of my favorites) I buy many Iris in the Lancaster County area from Amish farm stands so I have named some Grampa Stotzfus, Granny Weaver etc. I'm sure you get the idea. I name others after who gave then to me and also family members. After all they are in "my" garden and I can call them anything I want to. Besides it brings back a nice memory of a person or place. That being said I always keep the plant tag next to the plant and also mark down the names of all in my gardeners journal.

• irisawe
    13 years ago

After making the mistake of using several faulty ways of labeling that led to years of confusion, I recommend the zinc paw paw tags( I think they are 12" of curved wire with a horizontal plate that is approx. 2.5" that glides on). Someone else may be able to provide you with the exact dimensions. I attach a printed label that is done on the Brother P-Touch label maker on tape that is recommended for outdoor use. Several other methods failed me and caused me alot of problems. It was well worth the investment. I use the P-Touch for labeling other things as well.

K

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

I've used old blinds for years. I cut them down to size and cut the other end like a V to stick in the ground. I've tried markers, pens and everything on them and it always came off. Till I used pencil. I have some tags that are a couple years old. Have lasted hard winters, 3ft. snow, and everything else and are fine. I haven't had a problem with fading yet. But I guess I'll just go back over them with pencil. And I keep a garden map in the house of all my beds, just as a back-up.

And mombo is right. I have a huge noid bed. It is more fun to name them yourself. My kids have the best time coming up with names in that bed. Right now I have a tweety, spongebob and licorice to name a few.:0)

Happy Growing!
    vina

• madeyna
    13 years ago

my pets and kids run off with anything sticking above ground so I started using white plastic knives a few years ago and marking them with a sharpie fine point permanent marker I then sink all but the top 3/4 inch into the ground. They pull back up easily and don,t get broke off by pets or kids.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Plastic above the ground eventually becomes brittle. I've been trying the old mini blind lengths also. With 8-inch lengths you can write the name at each end with pencil or a "paint pen". Half gets buried. The paint pens are available at Michael's craft stores and black is the most permanent. Made by Uchida.

Another back up is a digital photo (highest resolution) of the freshly planted rhiz with marker showing beside new rhiz. With your hand drawn map and a copy of your order !!! you will be in good shape.

If you can afford the markers Irisawe is using, they're the best!

Another idea I've read of is to punch a hole large enuf in the label's end to fit over a bamboo stake. Then as the iris 'travels' the staked label can be moved. Of course they may travel in opposite directions.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I use cut-up soda cans. I write on the blank side with a ball point pen, so that the metal is engraved. I spray paint the other side flat dark brown. I punch a hole with an ice pick in one corner and tie the tag to the plant with wire.

Renee

• mooseling
    13 years ago

I have metal markers out in my garden. I just used a Sharpie on them, which fades, but I don't mind rewriting. I usually don't let them get so faded that I can't read it anymore, but just in case, I have a map of where everything is on my computer. And in case of my hard drive crashing, I have a paper version as well.

• iris_nut
    13 years ago

Dymo tapes (45113) attached to metal markers hold up in the intense sun (at least 3 years and still look like they will last several more). One of our local members makes laser printed labels on Avery weatherproof laser labels (5520) which also hold up well.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

Iris nut..I bought my metal plant markers from Gardener's Supply. My son has a labeler that we gave him a few years ago for Xmas. Where do you buy the weatherproof labels that can be attached to the metal markers? Somebody on one of these gardening websites uses colored labels on hers.

• iris_nut
    13 years ago

Staples either carries them or can order them for you. They come 40 to a sheet. Remember they need to be made with a laser printer in order to hold up. Inkjet runs with the first rain or watering.

The Dymo 'labels' faded almost immediately, I only use the Dymo 'tapes'.

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors