Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Why didn't my iris bloom?

I've been growing iris for decades and have had no problems with them. A year or two ago, I decided to update some of my iris beds by planting some new and different types (especially frilly ones). I do not remember the names of the iris I ordered except that one group was Edith Wolford. The first spring, they all bloomed wonderfully well. But this year (their second year) nearly all of them failed to bloom, except one little extra cluster (it might have been a freebie) that I squeezed into a bed way out by the back alley.

I'm wondering why the newer iris did not bloom, but all the decades old irises bloomed just like they always do?

The new iris are in sun and, in fact, planted just a few feet over from where some old irises have existed for years.

We did have a brutal winter this year. That is the only major difference I can think of. But since we used to grow iris when I lived "up north," I can't imagine a cold winter would stop every single Edith Wolford from blooming this spring.

Any one have any ideas?

Since I know how much posters love to see pics, here is a pic of the one group (the freebie out by the back alley) that actually bloomed this year.

Kate

Sponsored