Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Irises

Posted by krussow oklahoma (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 9:48

I have an AWESOME old iris bed on farm i bought that was planted back in the 60's.

Yellow, yellow and purple, dark almost black purple, a lavender, and a blue color, and a peachy color.

BUT i moved the fences and want to move the bed...

there is a Mushroom Farm close by that i can get compost from so i was thinking of putting down a plastic to keep out the weeds and building a flower bed and filling it with the compost.. then planting them in there... my thoughts on this was also NO WEEDS of other grasses.. i was going to ad some soil into the compost...

i have NEVER transplanted iris's before..

whats your advice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Irises

if god had wanted you to use plastic.. then all the flowers would be plastic ...

PLEASE just skip that part .. or you will eventually come to regret it ...

MOST weed seed is air borne ... ergo .. any type of landscape fabric is a useless waste of money.. once the wind blows over your new soil ...

if you have some type of underground invasive weed issues.. i would take the time to kill them with roundup .. or some other type of killer ...

otherwise.. sounds like a great plan ... though i might get some compost and test it ... before i put every single iris i own into it ... i once got some compost that was too hot.. and it killed everything i put in it..

i have never worked in mushroom compost.. and suspect it wouldnt do that.. but a little prior investigation might avoid potential problems...

all that said.. fan out the iris.. roots into the soil.. and the rhizomes sitting on top of the soil .. and you should be all set ...

good luck

ken

o

I agree about not using plastic. For another thing, it wouldn't drain unless you poked a bunch of holes in it before adding in your compost or other soil.

Weed seeds will blow in and germinate about anywhere once the bed is made and planted. I would suggest you either Preening it, being careful to not sprinkle the Preen directly on the rhizome tops, and also to mulch the bed some, making sure you don't mulch all of the way up to the rhizome.

Remember too that when planting and spacing them that they will grow outward from the heel (as opposed to the toe) of the rhizome.

Sue

o

Irises don't need great soil- they don't like too much nitrogen. I would skip the plastic- if you want to put something down and build a raised bed, use cardboard. Water can get through it and your plants won't rot.

Congratulations on your new farm.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here