Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I kill them?

Posted by kesflower 6 - VA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 10:04

A friend generously gave me lots of bearded irises last year. I planted them in the fall, they came up beautifully this spring, some of them bloomed, and they are now starting to get brown, whither and die back. Is this normal? I was afraid of planting them too deeply, but they've got about 1/2 inch to 1 inch of soil over the rhizomes. Is that too much? They are also in a partial shade area (the spot where I want to put them is going to have a lot of work done to it and I want to just wait till that's done before I put them there. They're in the partial shade spot just to keep them alive till next spring). So did I kill them? Are they just going dormant for the summer? Should I dig a few up that lost all their leaves and see if they're rotted?

Thanks for any help, I've never grown irises before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I kill them?

Iris should not be covered with soil. They should be exposed to the sun. You might want to check for rot. Cut the rotten part off and wash it antibacterial soap and let dry for 2 days and replant.

o

Beardeds don't look so hot this time of year! Outer leaves of the fan dying and sometimes the remaining ones looking 1/2 wilted.

Allow the soil to dry between soaks. One inch of soil sounds like too much. I have read of a light covering of soil in extremely hot, sunny climates.

Scrape off the soil and they'll be fine for relocation next spring if no prolonged flooding occurs!

Drainage is the name of the game!

o

Agree, too much soil probably. I don't even bury my iris, I leave as much as half the rhizome on top of the soil & they do fine. I've noticed that iris that are covered over much at all grow all right in my yard, but take longer to bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here