Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do I remove a faded bloom?

Posted by tambo747 4 a/b Canada (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 10:45

Hi everyone!
Last fall I planted reblooming bearded iris's and they are blooming beautifully. The first bloom on immortality has now faded and is shrivelled up. My question is how to remove the spent bloom if at all and where exactly to cut?
Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do I remove a faded bloom?

I saw a youtube video that dealt with that very thing among others and have been doing it, not sure it makes that much difference unless you are exhibiting.

There is a dried "husk" papery covering at the base, peel that down until you expose the seed pod just starting to form and snap it off there under the pod. If there is another bud forming close, be careful.

Some I snap a little too short, doubt it matters much so long as you destroy the seed pod so it won't use the plant's energy forming seed.

Found it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooley's Iris Gardens

o

Thank you for your help Aliska! I watched the video and it was very helpful. You tube, as I found out, has many helpful gardening clips!
Take Care,
Tammy

o

You're most welcome. I'm mainly into roses and propagation, but found many helpful gardening videos on youtube. I've really been bitten by the iris bug now though after having some stunning success with a few.

o

Fingernail pinch here. Also, a nip with a sharp little scissors if needed. Got the scissors at the notions dept of Jo Ann fabrics.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here