Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgaylene52

Your 2010 Order?

bgaylene52
13 years ago

What have you ordered for 2010? We know there is always room for more iris, right? And...I love to know what you have selected so I can google each to see pics and imagine them in my garden.

Comments (40)

• bigtoad
    13 years ago

I ordered from blue j iris who are great to work with. anaconda love-Blazer-Loud Music-fall fiesta. I have to trade Northwest Progress & wild apache just to name a few.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I ordered Peach Royale, Plum Pretty Whiskers, Violet Reprise, Coral Chalice, Double Agent, Rose Teall, Ringo, Mulberry Echo, and Ruth Black. Schreiner's will be sending me Maria Tormena as well.

All of them are supposed to be rebloomers, although I have my doubts about a few.

Renee

• karenh71867
    13 years ago

I just placed my first order with Blue J Iris today! This is what I picked out:
    Angel's Serenade, Black Madonna, Blue Eyed Blonde, Blue Fin, Chase the Dream, Confectionary, Karen Christine, Most Stunning, Oasis Robin, and Orange Jubilee.

There are waayyyy too many beautiful ones to choose from! lol

• iris_nut
    13 years ago

I ordered Long Embrace, Whistlers Tune, Enchanter, Dutchman's Dream, Pilgrims Progress, Mighty Warrior, Hot Topic, Revere, Ripple Effect, Telepathy, Who's Your Daddy, and Out of the Blues from IRIS4U. I think I got a little carried away, but I have 2 25 sq ft raised beds fallow ready to put them in.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Irisnut- that's quite a bit of space to fill- are you sure you bought enough? And you don't happen to like those Van Liere intros, do you? :)
    Renee

• daylilyluver
    13 years ago

Here is my list:

ABIQUA FALLS
    BLUEBEARD'S GHOST
    BOURGEOIS
    FISSION CHIPS
    SCREAM
    YAHTZEE
    CANTINA
    FASHIONABLY LATE
    GOLDEN PANTHER
    HAPPENSTANCE
    HOUSE AFIRE
    JAIME LYNN
    LADY FRIEND
    TITANS GLORY
    Vizier
    Immortality
    Breakers
    Pure as Gold

Of course, I already have a new "wish" list thanks to all of the enablers who posted pictures! :)

• iris_nut
    13 years ago

50 sq ft handles 16 iris and an assortment of vegetables to keep my hubby happy. Last year I had zucchini in one bed, carrots and beets in one, onions and garlic in 2, lettuce in one, lettuce and broccoli in 1 and the 2 fallow beds for 200 sq ft. This year I have asparagus in the shady part of 2 beds, 2 tomato plants, an artichoke, and the remaining onions and garlic almost ready to harvest. But the big plus is, 'Hubby has conceded that I take care of the vegetables better when there are iris in the beds. Go figure!'

• bgaylene52
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thought I'd add my selections for 2010:
    Superstition Iris: One More Night, Roaring Twenties, Gitano, Bolshoi, Adriatic Waves.

Mid-America: Forever Blowing Bubbles, Ming Lord, Astrology, Popstar, Kaligazam, Indian Sunset

Snowpeak Iris: Millenium Falcon, Royal Majesty, Pink Pincurls, Synergy, Darcy's Choice, Sisters of Loretto, Rarer than Rubies, Sangria

We are finally reworking our backyard and celebrating with reshaped and additional beds. Let the iris party begin!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I Loooove Sisters of Loretto.
    Renee

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

i ordered from Wild Iris Rows about 2 months ago. they'll be here in 13 days! i can't wait!
    I'm getting:
    KILT LILT
    CHAPEAU
    BLACK SUITED
    BROADWAY STAR
    PRAETORIAN GUARD
    YAQUINA BLUE
    LADY FRIEND
    EDITH WOLFORD
    SOLOIST
    GRAND CANYON
    EARTHBORN
    MEGABUCKS
    CAPTION
    and INSTRUCTOR

quite the list, and i have no idea how many bonus plants are with it. it's 14 plants total that i ordered. i'm expecting about 20, not counting doubles.

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

i forgot ARGUS PHEASANT
    so make that 15 plants i ordered.

• iris_nut
    13 years ago

It's always fun to know that favorite iris are doing well in other climates and soil types. I am a Sisters of Loretto fan, too. No newsflash there!

• madeyna
    13 years ago

I visited Shreiners a few weeks ago and filled 6 pages of my notebook with I wants. I have to narrow them down a whole lot before I order. I really don,t have room for more full sun plants just yet .

• mooseling
    13 years ago

Madeyna - I did the same thing over there at Schreiner's. I had to stop every other step to write something down, and I kept running back to smell Gingersnap. I think I ended up with a $90 order - after the discount.

From Schreiner's, I got:
    Cherry Blossom Song
    Company Red
    Crimson Snow
    Fiery Temper
    Fluffy Pillows
    Good Vibrations
    Habit
    Impressionist
    Jamaican Dreams
    Kevin's Theme
    Megabucks
    New Leaf
    Orange King
    Pacific Destiny
    Plum Fun
    Wild Vision

Mid-America:
    Decadence
    Elizabethan Age
    Fission Chips
    High Master
    Let's Be Brazen
    Paul Black

Keith Keppel:
    Montmartre
    Secret Rites

Iris4U:
    Telepathy
    Plum Pretty Whiskers
    Sea Power
    Hell's Fire
    Epicenter
    Dynamite
    Starship Enterprise
    Captain Crunch
    Piping Hot
    Deep Dark Secret
    Special Kay
    Grateful Heart
    In Love Again
    Mauna Loa Fire
    Nuclear Nancy
    Trans Orange
    Crimson Tiger
    Lovely Senorita
    Louisa's Song

And I still haven't placed my orders at a few other places. I want to order from Blue J, another place here in Colorado, and another up in Oregon. I might skip Blue J this year, just because I may be running out of room. I'm getting rid of a few things I have, but I will soon be overrun with Irises. Hooray!

• iris_nut
    13 years ago

I want to come visit your garden next May when I come to Denver to visit my Mom.

• daylilyluver
    13 years ago

@mooseling

Do tell about Gingersnap please, and leave no details out!

I ordered it last year and unfortunately it was the only one that didnÂt survive the winter.

I wrote the fine people at ShreinerÂs inquiring about their replacement policy (if there even was one as I saw nothing on the website) as Gingersnap was the priciest Iris I had purchased.

I was perfectly fine with them telling me no replacement however they offered to replace the iris and asked when I wanted it shipped.

Awesome customer service.

This year I placed orders with 3 new (to me) iris nurseries: Napa, Wild Iris Rows (had one I really wanted), and AitkenÂs Salmon Creek (for a bunch of SDBÂs).

IÂll be weeding out some daylilies (I can hear the gasps from the Daylily forum) and will have more room for other things too (some iris IÂm sure will go toÂI didnÂt care so much for Charger).

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Mooseling, you have outstanding taste. I just found about three-quarters of my wish list on your order.

How I envy you your garden next spring!
    Renee

• mooseling
    13 years ago

Gingersnap really does smell like root beer! I had seen it in Schreiner's catalog as a root beer scented Iris, but I didn't think it really would, but I ordered it from somewhere else just to see what it smelled like. It was in bloom when I was over there, so I went to smell it and it was like smelling a bottle of root beer. My mom didn't seem to smell it as strong as I was, though. It's made Gingersnap one of my favorites, just for the smell.

I'll definitely be putting my camera to good use next year! I should have about 150 bearded Irises to photograph, not to mention any Siberians and species that decide to bloom!

• chocolateis2b8
    13 years ago

I've had iris's for years, meaning that I have what came with the house and others I have picked up for free throughout the years, in other words, noids, so I'm basically a newbie at this.

But I seemed to have happened on the perfect iris spot after all these years and my iris's were so beautiful that we are expanding the bed and I have ordered a number to fill the new spot.

Here is my list of what I ordered. I'm sure they are only oldies but goodies, nothing expensive because I don't have a lot to spend. But they will be new for me.

RING AROUND THE ROSIE
    SCOTCH
    POINT MADE
    CIRCUS WORLD
    WILD WEST WIND
    GREEN EYED LADY
    BARBARA MY LOVE
    ANON
    DREAM OF GOLD
    FOLKSY FUN
    PASS THE WINE
    DREAM LORD
    SPICED ORANGE
    ATALA
    CAYENNE CAPERS
    TROPICAL BUTTERFLY
    VICTORIAN FRILLS
    CHARGED UP
    MARRIAGE VOWS
    WAR CHIEF
    TRANS ORANGE

• mooseling
    13 years ago

I think I'm addicted. Just placed three more iris orders. Two of them were small though. Ordered two spurias and two arilbreds. I've got one of each already and I figure I might as well try to collect every type that'll grow here. Only thing I'm missing now is a Japanese iris.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

You've got it bad, mooseling.
    It's time for you to face up to your addiction.
    Take a look at the site below- it will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help for the Iris Virus

• sunnyjay
    13 years ago

This is my very first post here! I've always loved irises. One of my favourite flowers since I was a kid. We moved from our old house last summer. I had to leave some of my irises behind but the new owner called me and said he was digging out part of my old garden to make room for a new vegetable garden so he asked if I wanted to go over and dig up some flowers from that area. Luckily there were some irises there that I got to dig up and plant at our new house. Most of them flowered beautifully this year.
    Okay, to answer your question, I ordered from La Vie En Rose Gardens in Ottawa, On. Can. This was my first time ever ordering any type of flower online and having them mailed to me. Usually I just buy locally.
    Here's what's coming:
    AWAKE
    BANTAM PRINCE
    BLUEBEARDS GHOST
    JEWEL BABY
    MIKEY LIKES IT
    WHYDIDI
    (all of the above are Standard Dwarf Bearded Iris)
    COMPACT BUDDY
    GRANDMA'S HAT
    (both Miniature Dwarf Bearded)
    PINK KITTEN (Intermediate Bearded)

Locally I also purchased this year:
    MESSENGER
    BLAST
    (Both Intermediate Bearded)
    WHAT AGAIN
    PINK FROSTING
    BABY BLESSED
    STITCH WITCH
    (All Standard Dwarf Bearded Iris)
    MIDNIGHT REVELRY
    ACAPULCO GOLD
    MEN IN BLACK
    (All Tall Bearded Iris)

Can't wait for my mail order ones to get here!

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Just noticed this thread. And I am getting excited for my iris' to get here!
    Here's what I ordered this year:

ACOMA
    ADOBE CAMPFIRE
    ALICE GOODMAN
    BAHAMA MAMA
    BARBARA MY LOVE
    BLAZER
    EARTH SONG
    HY CALYPSO
    HIT AND MISS
    HONKEY TONK BLUES
    HOT FUDGE
    HOT SPICED WINE
    HUCKLEBERRY FUDGE
    PASSING CLOUDS
    TENNESSEE WOMAN
    THORNBIRD
    WINE TIME
    GNU
    YES
    PRETTIE PRINT
    FIESTAWARE BLUE
    FANTASM
    HELEN COLINGWOOD
    TROPICAL BUTTERFLY
    VIGILANTE
    SKY HOOKS

Have been working on getting my new bed ready. Its a raised bed about 35 x 13. Last load of compost/top soil is coming tomorrow.

Can't wait for them to get here! It's like Christmas...and I have been really good this year :0)

I'm still looking for a couple of historics that I seem to be having trouble locating.
    I just emailed Superstition Iris today. I bet they have them. So I will be adding to my list too.
    vina

• sunnyjay
    13 years ago

Just placed another online order. This time I ordered:

YES - TB
    EMMA COOK - TB
    DAUGHTER OF STARS - TB
    DADDY COOL - IB
    DOUBLE OVERTIME - IB
    LEPRACHAUN'S DELIGHT - SDB

Also just bought locally:

NIGHT OWL - TB
    BLAZING SUNRISE - TB
    CLARENCE - TB

I've been bitten by the "iris bug"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

hey, i got Spice Girl as a bonus, and I can't find pictures of it anywhere, it's supposed to be orange. i just want some idea of what to expect. any pics?

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I couldn't find any pictures of Spice Girl either. Who sent it as a bonus? Don't they have a photo?

I got my order from Blue J and I got my replacement iris from Schreiner's. Just one more order- they don't ship until August.

I had a tree removed to make more space...
    Renee

• bgaylene52
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ashes_of_the_fire: AIS Registration lists Spice Girl as follows:

SPICE GIRL
    (George Sutton, R. 2001) Border Bearded, 26" (66 cm), ML & Rebloomer
    Ruffled orange buff self; beards spanish orange; slight spicy fragrance. (Gypsy Wings x Baby Bengal) X Orange Popsicle. Sutton 2002.

Have you checked Suttons or did you receive it from Suttons? If so, perhaps they could send you a pic as an attachment.

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

I did not get it from Suttons, I got it from Wild Iris Rows. unfortunately there was no picture on the site either. I only want a picture because I'm too impatient to wait until spring and descriptions just never seem to do the plants justice to me. curiosity is all

thank you for the suggestion about how to find a picture of it though. maybe i'll just take one myself when it blooms on post it up here for all of us to enjoy!

Also, in that order I got BOLD VISION, SHEER ECSTACY, CRIMSON TWIST, and BOSS TWEEd as bonuses, and I had apparently forgotten that I had ordered BLAZING SADDLES. I just can't wait until next year!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Sheer Ecstacy is a wonderful color. It always catches my eye when it's in group shots of someone's garden.
    Renee

• daylilyluver
    13 years ago

My Napa Iris order arrived yesterday in fine condition.

Nice Healthy looking rhizomes.

Now I've got to go make their bed. I have planned on doing that earlier but we got hit with some unusually hot and humid weather early in the season and it's been brutal to do anything in the yard.

@Renee,

I liked your, I had a tree removed to make more space...

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Heh heh. Daylilyluver- I was wondering if anyone would notice that.
    I got mine in just before the heat wave hit here. I hope they do ok.
    Renee

• daylilyluver
    13 years ago

My orders have all arrived. All but one is planted.

I'm hoping the Schriener's sends me my replacement "Gingersnap".

• daylilyluver
    13 years ago

Schreiners came through...i found Gingersnap in my PO box.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I just got my order in from Blue J! They look really cute! but... they say "plant immediately" (or at least within 2-3 weeks) but then they say my ideal planting time (mild winters/hot summer) is Sept. I guess I should wait a bit...? It's not horrifically hot this year, but yeah.

I'm tempted to order more, but I guess I should wait and see if I kill these since I've never done irises before.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

You can plant them, Aimeekitty. The problem is keeping them from rotting.

I avoid high nitrogen fertilizer and plant them very high, but soak the soil really well. Thereafter I water normally. I did have a few rot last year for the first time, but I believe that was the result of too much compost mulch. You are supposed to avoid mulching bearded irises.

What did you get?

Renee

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I decided I wanted to add bearded iris to my beds so I placed an order back in May. They arrived this week and have all been planted. I can't wait to see the beds next year!!

ALL came with doubles or triples, plus 6 bonus. I was thrilled!!

Adobe rose
    Amethyst flame
    Aplomb
    Bewilderbeast
    Blueberry bliss
    Blue suede shoes
    Caption
    Carnival song
    Country charm
    Edith wolford
    Lingering love
    Loyalist
    Mulled wine
    Pagan dance
    Pink confetti
    Pond lily
    Prom night
    Purple pepper
    Sheer ecstacy
    Stunning
    Sweet musette
    Waltzing princess
    Zandria

I'm sure a lot of these are oldies but I figured it was a good start for me. :-)

Emily

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I was thinking of planting them in my front yard because there's a bit of a raised bed there that drains into a drain, so I figured it would work well. My lavender are doing really well there. Should I plant the iris bulb slightly above ground and then cover it, still?

Should I use -any- fertilizer at all, or none?

Thanks Renee, you're a dear!!

I realize now that I just really got enough for one spot, when I wanted to put them in multiple spots... I wonder if there's still some place I can order from or if I should be good and see if I kill these first. haha...

I got
    OUR LOVE SONG - 1
    GLITTER REPINK -1
    Breakers-3
    Clarence-3
    Mother Earth - 1
    Pink Reprise-2
    Rosalie Figge-3
    Total Recall-3

and I got some Clarence and Total Recall for my mom. She just called me yesterday and said how excited she is. (she called me while she was planting them.) She's going to add them in with the irises from HER mother. (I have some from grandma, too.) :) :)

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

PS. I broke down and ordered a few more reblooming tbs from Wild Iris Rows, since they're still shipping. :) This way I can have some in the front and the back.

Total Recall - 2
    Immortality - 2
    SUMMERTIME BLUES - 2
    DAUGHTER OF STARS - 2
    Feedback - 2

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Aimeekitty- send me a private email. I just divided my irises.
    Renee

• ashes_of_the_fire
    13 years ago

Aimeekitty (I love the way your name is spelled, my sisters is the same way!) watch out for Wild Iris Rows, they like to send multiples. I got doubles of just about everything, including most of the bonuses, of the 21 i recieved i think only 5 were single rhizomes the rest were 2-4. good thing too, one of my YAQUINA BLUE's were eaten by bugs. so far no other casualties.

you should ahve looked at a couple other rebloomers he has too, like POLISH PRINCESS (I regret not ordering this one), and SPICE GIRL (a picture of which has proven elusive).