Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
regattagirl_gw

Got some in a swap!

regattagirl
14 years ago

Our city does a gardenerÂs swap. I didnÂt think I had anything special to swap but I brought what I had  strawberry plants, sempervivum, a few springs of aster ÂPurple Dome  and people were scooping it up before I even had it unloaded! I even brought some neglected house plants and an orchid that went to new homes to get houseplant love (IÂm not so interested in houseplants for some reason).

I was hoping for dwarf iris because I'm experimenting with containers in zone 4 because I live in a townhouse and cannot dig here. I think anything taller would be very tippy.

Anyway, I ended up with LOTS of fans of:

ÂCherry Garden  SDB, purple/maroon (purple brown), blooms mid-season, 1966

ÂChickee  MTB (miniature and tall? HmmmÂ..), yellow, blooms mid-season, 1979

ÂFairy Footsteps  SDB, light blue/white/near white. 1985

ÂIndian Jewel  SDB, light blue/white/near white, blooms late, 1973

ÂOrchid Raye  SDB, orchid with darker orchid ray pattern, blooms late, 1969

ÂSinging Angel  SDB, blue/violet, blooms extra early, 1975

ÂToy Parade  Anyone have/find information on this one? I canÂt find anything.

Comments (10)

• madeyna
    14 years ago

That sounds like a great swap!

• eroctuse2
    14 years ago

Looks like a good haul and it looks like whoever brought them knew their stuff. I'm only familiar with 'Chickee' and 'Indian Jewel', but the descriptions you have sound accurate.

'Chickee' grows like an absolute weed and blooms and blooms here (I don't grow it myself but what I've said is true in several local friend's gardens). MTBs look like historic TBs scaled down. They have all the branching and bud count of a TB, just scaled down to wiry short stalks with beatifully spaced, delicate blooms. They're one of my favorite classes.

'Indian Jewel' has very old form for those that like modern ruffled iris, but it's falls are some of the closest to turquoise I've ever seen.

• regattagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes. That swap was like gardening heaven. I don't remember the last time I felt that happy!

Can you believe that I googled and gathered all of the info myself???

But still nothing on "Toy Parade" ;o[

• eroctuse2
    14 years ago

Sorry that I overlooked that one, I had to pull out the ol' 70's AIS Checklist to find it:

Toy Parade - SDB "S. light blue; F. paler and bluer with blended blue-violet spot; pale blue beard tipped yellow in throat" 1979

Good work finding all that info. I know very well how difficult it can be.

• regattagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wowsa! Thanks SO MUCH for the info. I was beginning to think it was a mistake name.

Now, tell me how do I get ol' checklists? ;o]

• pat_tea
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your score! Could you share how the swap was organized. I would like to put one together for our small community. Thanks, Patti

• regattagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for asking. This is what I know.

It's communicated by the city forester, on the city calendar. The master gardener's have a meeting and presentation right afterward that everyone was invited to. I think it MAYBE started as a swap for just the master gardeners but they'd have stuff leftover that they didn't want to load up and take home...???

There was a set time (4:30-6:30pm). Anything setting on the surface of the parking lot was for taking. Anything in a trunk, tailgate, etc was assumed to be already claimed.

Try to mark things with the common name as best as you can and the hybrid if you know it.

READY. SET. SWAP!

(Actually, I was one of the first people there and the other first people grabbed up my stuff really quickly. We didn't wait for the official start. Very casual.)

Some people just take EVERYTHING.
    Some people have to be convinced that it is definitely okay to take something. PLEASE TAKE IT. REALLY. GO AHEAD.
    I made sure to say thank you over and over again.
    Not intended as a one-for-one swap.
    I am not sure that everyone who took something also brought something/anything...and vice versa.
    Some people planned in advance with their giving by potting stuff previously.
    Some people dug that day and let people hack off a chunk (like hosta).
    Garden magazines and pots and containers and tools could all be traded...left over annuals.
    I left with nothing I brought.

• eroctuse2
    14 years ago

The checklists are available for sale from the AIS here (near the bottom of the page): http://www.irises.org/storefront.htm

I was so, incredibly, fortunate to speak with a "local" member who was relying on the online version only and they gave me their hardcover 79, 89, and 99 checklists! They're complete listings of every rhizomatous iris introduced within each decade and I'm desperately awaiting the 2000's release in 2011.

If you're going to collect iris, they're an invaluable resource.

• regattagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awesome website! Thanks!!!!!!!!

(Not sure I'll become a "collector" but would like to know what I've got and make good decisions about how to have a diverse representation of what's available....but I think I've got IRIS FEVER.)

• pat_tea
    14 years ago

Thank you for the info. Sounds like fun! Patti

Sponsored