Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bacterial soft rot

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 11:23

We have had a lot of rain lately, but then I guess everyone has. Yesterday I was cleaning up the irises and noticed that some of them were soft, mushy and very smelly. I think that's bsr. What can I do for this besides using chemicals? Any advice? Another question. I have never started seeds from my irises before. Acoma now has 2 large seedpods on it. Would these seeds come true to parent plant or could they be another colour? There are 5 different ones in the same area. How would I go about harvesting and starting the seeds? Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bacterial soft rot

Scoop out all soft tissue and remove soil to let rhizomes dry out. Sprinkle damaged area's with "comet" or other Cl based dry powder kitchen cleanser.

Seeds are never true to parent(s).

When pods are dry and start to crack open remove the pods to open in a safe place (i.e an open cup), discard pods and chaff
Plant seeds in fall in gallon pots (1 pod per pot) and leave outside to weather, seeds will sprout in Spring.

Seedlings can be separated and planted out in late spring and can flower the next spring under ideal conditions.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 15:04

Thanks for the info chadinlg. I've got my work cut out for me. I need to check about 40 more iris and see if they all have it - so far only 2 have it. Will the comet kill the bacteria spores in the soil if I sprinkle it there?
I think I will go ahead and try the seeds. It will be interesting to see what I get.

o

I would not go nutz with the comet, it will help the infected rhizomes, but not in the soil.

Checkout the link for more info on Iris disease control..

I find growing iris from seed (in my case planned crosses) to be one of the funnest things in my garden; every year a bunch of new iris surprises await me...

Here is a link that might be useful: info on Iris diseases

o

Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 15:52

Thanks for the helpful link. I've bookmarked it and am sure will use it often.

o

i cant figure out why i cant see the pix at the link

any idea??

ken

o

Tue, Jun 29, 10 at 9:58

Ken, I couldn't get the pix to come up either. I thought it was just my old computer but I guess not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here