Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
reblooming in zone 4

Posted by alyciaadamo 3/4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 11:43

I just read that reblooming irises "DIE" in my zone 4? Does that mean they will not come back the following year? If this is so, I have some, what can I do to make sure they come back next year? I just bought and planted all my irses last year so I am a total newbie at this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: reblooming in zone 4

No, they will not die. Your irises are safe!

Reblooming irises have bloom stalks more than once a season. In warm places like California, some irises bloom from March to November over and over again. Some bloom twice a season, in spring and in fall. Reblooming irises are marked as such- "re". I grow Total Recall and Recurring Dream, and they rebloom. It's a genetic trait. They can be killed in your climate when they try to put up bloom stalks in the fall and get cut down by cold weather. Try not to buy irises marked "re."

Regular non-reblooming tall bearded irises don't have that problem. They will store up energy all summer and fall and bloom again in the spring.

In both cases, the mother plant stops blooming, but produces baby rhizomes that bloom the next spring. So technically it is not the same plant that blooms year after year, it is new plants that grow off of the original.
Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: REblooming Iris Society

o

I have several reblooming iris because when I bought them I didn't know that I should be avoiding them, and I tended to pick things by color and form rather than growth habit. I haven't had any die on me, at least not entirely. I haven't had any rebloom, but I am just learning about them and I think there are a couple of ways reblooming happens, and this might make a difference in performance in a short season zone. But if you planted your iris last year, and they are still around this year, then you can see that they don't "die", and you'll be fine. Just see what happens over time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minnesota rebloomers

o

Sorry, I think I misread your post. Ignore my comment!
Renee

o

Oh, I don't know. I think your link had some good info under the "culture" heading that was good to look at.

o

I am in zone 4 here in the mountians of Utah. I have some rebloomers. They try to rebloom around October. At that time of year Old Man Frost gets the buds, The Plants do not Die just the buds. Each spring they bloom thee hearts out. Never had the die. I say not to worry they survive!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here