Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Not much variegation on irises

greenhaven
11 years ago

I planted nine Iris ensata 'Variegata' for a client, and they were not very variegated. I hoped it was due to age, but some Iris pallida agrentea 'Variegata' I purchased from another retailer were very young and beautifully marked.

Will the I. ensatas variegate with age? Some bloomed yellow (!!!) so when they bloom next Spring I will take a photo and ask the supplier for a credit. It might not matter, though, if the develop some good color. I really planted them for the foliage and not the bloom.

Comments (15)

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Did any bloom purple? The problem with the variegation may be that you got the wrong plant.
    If they bloomed yellow they are not what you bought. They are variegated yellow flag irises, iris pseudacorus, not iris ensata. They can be invasive and have different plant habits from the ensata.

There are different cultivars of variegated ensata, and they have different markings. Someone will chime in about how the foliage develops over time.

Renee

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some did bloom purple. I am not certain they all bloomed, for they got transplanted out of their pots right close to bloom time. I definitely saw a couple yellows and at least one purple.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

There are some variegated irises which lose their variegation by summer and are just green, but I do not remember which ones exactly

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Here is what Riley Probst, a friend who is an iris hybridizer, said:
    "If they bloomed yellow, they are not Iris ensata! They are probably Iris pseudacorous variegated; which foliage is much less variegated than that of Iris ensata variegata. I used to grow both of these when I lived in Missouri. Iris pseudacorous variegated decreases in variegation as the season progresses. It is most variegated in early spring. As I recall, on Iris ensata variegata the variegated foliage does not change much; it is always present."

I hope that answers your question, Greenhaven. By the way, the purple bloom does not necessarily mean the iris was an ensata. It could be something else.

Renee

• PollyNY
    11 years ago

Renee is so totally right, as always, but any chance you can post a pic? I'm just hoping they didn't sneak some straight pseudacorus in.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Polly, the check's in the mail.

More comments were made by commercial growers and hybridizers:

Walter A. Moores: There is no yellow ensata though some bulk catalogs will advertise such. Variegation seems to disappear over summer and not return until there is new growth in the spring where I live.

Mt Pleasant Iris: Both Iris ensata variegata, and Iris psuedacorus variegata are very stable in keeping their plant habits. I have and still grow both of them for 25-30 years. Iris ensata variegata was officially reg. and named as 'Silverband' by the Ensata Gardens. It has narrow one inch foliage that is green streaked with a silver white. The bloom is a smaller two to three inch fall, of plum red-violet. The season of bloom is within the early to mid I. ensata season about two to three weeks after peak TB. Iris pseudacorus variegata has foliage that is three to four inches wide, cream yellow and green in the spring, however turning all green by summer's end. The small two to three inch blooms are a bright sunshine yellow. Its bloom season is with the TBs.

Need to add in RE: Iris pseudacorus variegata- every bloom will set seed pods and any person growing it needs to be very diligent in dead-heading. Do not plant this near a natural waterway, as the next person in charge of your garden may not be as responsible as you are. Iris pseudacorus variegated or not is listed now as a noxious weed in many states.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You guys rock, thanks! I can get foliage photos but plants are definitely done blooming. I'll try to get that tomorrow, along with pics of MY variegateds that are drop-dead gorgeous.

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

Oh I would love to see your variegated pics! I love variegated plants but especially the Iris. I have one variegated Japanese Iris but can't seem to find it in the garden (it's a baby) :/ And 10 or so variegated Iris bearded and aril on order.
    Rena'

• Rachel A. Baulne
    last year

Planted 3 of the ensata 'Variegata' last year. Lovely foliage and purple flowers. 2 in full sun and 1 in part sun/shade. This year, all the foliage is green, with no variegation, in all 3 plants, but still lovely purple flowers. There may be genetic anomalies in certain plants that could possibly explain this.

Have consulted with some experts but was told that they have never seen this before and had no answer.

Rachel

• btydrvn
    9 months ago

I have lots of variegated irises..for many years…but they never bloom in good amounts..was wondering if there is a good food for this..they are flourishing and pretty but I would like to have more blooms…I bought them on the damp northern ca, coast near Mendocino …my climate is dry…in the mountains…could that effect the flowering?

• btydrvn
    9 months ago

Even in the beginning there were not that many blooms

• btydrvn
    9 months ago

We are fairly close to the coast ..as the crow flies..but at a higher altitude..

• btydrvn
    9 months ago

They are very hardy..the ones along the pond edge were planted about 10” apart..and grew in pots well..while sharing lots of them with friends all along

• btydrvn
    9 months ago

Wow garden gal that was soooo interesting.. and it all clicks with my experience..

cant wait to go out tomorrow and smell them..and it seems like I was doing all the right things.. !
    ….unknowingly..

and apparently we have the ideal situation as you describe it!…I still love them after 20 years in the garden .. and sending many out with friends who admired them as well…

Thanx so much for your input🤗

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!