Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing question

Posted by Dani0025 upstate ny (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 12:05

I have 3 diffrent colors of irises that I would like to have more of. I suppose my question is can I divide these? And how would I go about doing it? Any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated =)
Also of anyone happens to know the varieties of these, I would appreciate those as well

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing question

Not sure how to post more than one pic so heres another

o

And the last

o

And the last

o

The first one is a Siberian iris, and I know nothing about them.

The second and third are historic tall bearded irises. The best time to divide them is six weeks after they bloom. You just stick a shovel in the soil at the edge of the clump and lift them up. Break up the rhizomes and throw away the ones that have already bloomed and/or have no green leaves, and the ones with nice new green fans can be immediately replanted. I plant about ten to sixteen inches apart. Don't plant them deep- some people leave the top of the rhizome exposed above soil. You can trim down the leaves to about eight inches if they keep tipping over.

Your last photo is not showing.
Renee

o

Thanks for the response =)
They are still blooming so I guess I'll have to wait a bit. I read somewhere earlier that they may not bloom next year? Is there anything I can do to make them bloom?
And the last photo is actually just the same as the 3rd, something weird happened when I posted...

o

When I divide them, I replant them in clumps of three pointing out. That's how my gramma taught me and it has been successful for the 40+ years I have grown iris.

o

With replanting some irises do take a year off, but since you are dealing with the historic irises, your chances for bloom are better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here