Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigtoad_gw

can you ID?

bigtoad
12 years ago

I had several iris given to me by a collector years ago and I didnt get their names so I am slowly trying to ID them. Could the second one be boogie Man? Any Ideas.

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

i am sorry i can not ID them..

but that orange one looks pretty sickly ..

please send me a piece so that i may observe it for a decade or two ... and then i will let you know how the test came out ...

thank you

ken

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Love your columbines! What a great color combo. Sorry I can't help with the ID.
    Renee

• aquawise
    12 years ago

The second looks like Naughty Nights or Fiery Temper, maybe Dracula's Kiss.
    The first on put me in mind of Spiced Tiger or Tiger honey.
    Hope this is of some help. G

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Definitely not Tiger Honey, I have that one & nothing similar. I have Spiced Tiger too, never bloomed, but I don't think it is supposed to look like yours. Yours is more like a plicata than a broken color. Similar to Flamenco.
    I don't think your other is Boogie Man with though lovely orange beards. Not that many black iris with bright orange beards out there, I would think someone could ID it. I looked at the pictures of the ones mentioned, but Dracula's Kiss & Naughty Nights are pretty new & you say you've had it for years. Fiery Temper doesn't look right to my eyes, but I'm not very good at Identifying :)
    Good luck, I think both of these are different enough that you should eventually get them identified.

• bigtoad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the second one I actually got in a NOID trade about 3 years ago but the brownish one has been around for awhile. Thanks for the ideas I will check them out.

• casey261
    12 years ago

The purple one reminds me of Romantic Evening. No idea on the other. They are both very pretty though.

• ctmark
    12 years ago

Looks a lot like my Ruffled Copper Sunset - see photo

Here is a link that might be useful:

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

Not Ruffled Copper Sunset - missing the pronounced darker haft area. And beard color wrong.

• iris_gal
    12 years ago

The closest I saw was Autumn Echo - Gibson'73.

The flecking in the standards can be caused by weather.

• gottagarden
    12 years ago

I've got that same dark one with orange beards. I'm also eager to find the name.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

The only black I could find that was a Tall Bearded and not an IB was "Holy Cow", a 1998 flower. "About Last Night" didn't quite look right to me, but maybe I need to see more photos.
    Renee

• bigtoad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sorry for the delay in messages, my responses are not being forwarded to my email so I have to open this site and find my post each time. Any suggestions on how to fix that problem. I am pretty sure with your help that the purple on is draculas kiss but I dont know after looking at Holy Cow, I am still going for Draculaas kiss cause the standards are just a touch lighter than the falls. Autumn echo looks to yellow for what I have on the 1st one and I agree not ruffled cooper sunset, so I hope you all will keep trying. Thanks so much!

• bigtoad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

still cant decide between holy cow and draculas kiss. I think I will go take another photo of that dark one. The brown/yellow hasnt bloomed yet but dont think mine has that must yellow.

• bigtoad
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is draculas kiss. The defining moment was the edges of the falls have just a tint of a lighter shade. Thanks for your help! autumn echo is a rebloomer so that is not the brown/yellow one. The standards on mine are varigated.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz