Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocoabeachlorax

I need help. African Iris failing miserably.

cocoabeachlorax
13 years ago

They were all doing outstanding, until we installed weed cloth and rock for mulch. (Don't blame me, my husband had to have the rock).

Since then, one by one, the African Iris are rotting at the level of the rock.

The upper leaves look great and healthy, but there is a rainbow shaped streak of yellow and brown rot just above the base of the plant. One good strong tug and up the whole leaves come off.

Is it possible that the rocks are just too deep ? Is there any point in trying to leave the other Iris that appear to be doing well in place ? I've done some research and it seems that if there is a disease I should probably pull it all out. I don't see any bugs when I'm at eye level with the plants as I pull out the dead leaves. Should I be pulling the rizomes out as well as the leaves ? I had been leaving them in place hoping some healthy leaves might shoot up to replace what had been lost.

Thank you for any wisdom you care to share with me.

Comments (4)

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And I forgot to mention, they are getting plenty of sun, zone 9 B.

Thank you.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

I imagine the weed cloth weighted with rocks is preventing air circulation. Can you pull the rock a few inches away & cut away some cloth to provide 3-4 inches of breathing room around the clump? Check soil moisture before irrigating. Dietes (African iris) don't like moist soil.

• cocoabeachlorax
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you iris gal. I will try that.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    13 years ago

My experience is that landscape cloth and and garden stone mulch are about as unhealthy as the choices can get. If you have blazing sun, the white stone intensifies the heat by reflecting it back up. Moisture and air circulation are retarded. Eventually, the stones get dirty and weeds establish themselves with their tiny feeder roots totally enmeshed within the cloth.

Then you spend days to remove the cloth and stones.