Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how far deadheading iris?

Posted by chueh 7b GA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 08 at 13:22

Can anyone explain to me how deadheading prevents iris from going to seed? I just removed the dried-out spent iris flowers. It seems to me that even if I did not remove those dried-out flowers, they were already dried-out and would drop themselves eventually. Thus, how does this deadheading prevent the iris from going to seed? Is the iris still trying to form seeds while having the dried-out flowers? Perhaps, I did not do it right. Should I remove the spent flowers before they get dried-out. How soon should I deadhead it? How far do i deadhead it? Just the flower part, passing the bumpy part and cut it down to the top stem, or cutting down the stem but above any foliage? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how far deadheading iris?

I always remove the wilted flower becuase there are other buds that still haven't bloomed, plus, most blooms are double socketed which means another is going to bloom in the place of the one removed. When you remove a flower, there won't be a seed pod to form. I hybridize so I don't remove the flower where I have placed pollen - if successful, a pod will start to show in 7 to 10 days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here